Mechanical Keyboards

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I like the look of that, however personally I could never get along with the US keyboard layout or lack of a number pad - very much personal preference there though.

To me a good keyboard is worth spending money on and it should last many years. Consider also that the screen, keyboard, and mouse are the bits you use the most of your computer to me it makes sense to spend money on them.

For home I have one of the Unicomp keyboards which use a buckling spring design taken from the old IBM Model M keyboard, though you probably would not really want one of these in a shared office as the noise levels are a bit antisocial! Price has gone up a bit but I have had mine for getting on 9 years now and it has survived all sorts of misshaps over that time.

At the office I have a Filco one with Cherry blue switches on my desk which is not exactly silent but very well made and has so far lasted about 6 years, although some of the keycaps are a bit worn now those can easily be replaced for minimal cost.

Best bit is he spent a load of money on it. He’s a big online gamer, up to a very good level and races for a team with pro actual car racers. Recently he up graded to a full on seat, frame, curved screen etc. So he decided to buy a wireless keyboard with tracking pad built in. So it doesn’t bother me I get to use the one he made with out me spending out on one.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
try this switch tester for mx switches:

There's also Topre who make superb keyboards with their own switch technology, they're sort of like the Feather of shaving. You won't be able to look back after trying a real mechanical keyboard.
Err, bit too big and probably 80% of the cost of the keyboard I'd buy. I did order a small 8 key tester with Cherry and Gateron Red/Black/Brown/Blue as from the descriptions I'm pretty sure I'd go for browns

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
Err, bit too big and probably 80% of the cost of the keyboard I'd buy. I did order a small 8 key tester with Cherry and Gateron Red/Black/Brown/Blue as from the descriptions I'm pretty sure I'd go for browns
I'd go either a Leopold or Filco keyboard, superb quality and value for money. If you need or prefer something silent, then consider cherry mx silent reds.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Lol.
It really is great having something you really like though eh?
I went the diy route as I really wanted to get the one i saw.
You can buy the parts you want. Case type, pcb type, size, number of keys.
Then you get to choose the switch type (some like noisy, I like quiet (cherry mx pink I think they are.)) but also with the nosiy ones, you can choose the loudness type thing.
With tactile, you get ot choose at what stage the keys trigger.
(I am a bit of a key basher and so I have mine bottom out)
I found they were quite a long press, so I put O rings to shorten it.
I was surprised how much i changed as I went.
I thought 'keyboards is keyboards innit'. But found I liked this and didn't like that....
You can even change the strength of the spring to make the press firmer or lighter.

It is like trying different blades in different razors, with different soaps.
You find what you like.

I started off trying a second hand cheapish kb to see what I thought about mechanical keyboards and was surprised how much I liked it.

With the DIY, the soldering is dead easy.

I think the switch testers are a great idea. I imagine that there are plenty of cheaper second hand ones available though, as many people only use them once.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Nope, in too many rabbit holes atm and don't want to risk another one.
Having said that, the keyboard I shared a link to seems to tick all the boxes for me.
just think: every key-stroke is a horrible membrane aberration... How long can you survive it?

Grarea

Forum Plod
just think: every key-stroke is a horrible membrane aberration... How long can you survive it?
lol
That is a very good point.
Isn't every key stroke just adorable when you have it just how you like it?
Lush.
I could never go back to that membrane madness.
I feel so sorry for people that endure it.

• Haha
Reactions: p.b

thesuperiorshave

Forum GOD!
been a "das keyboard" + Contour Rollermouse man for many yrs and they are in tandem perhaps the most dependent of all familiarity in tools