Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McGregor 7-9

• McGregor 10-12

• Total voters

Len

Forum GOD!
Isn't that what you're doing for McGregor? Or are you going to claim to be a pro fighter now?
I'm not the one claiming that sparring, and then beating badly, a legitimate pro like Paulie Malignaggi is like a comedy sketch... That is excuse making. So is saying Mayweather was too old or rusty...

I'm not making excuses for McGregor, as I never expected the man to win. He went in against one of the greatest boxers of all time and got out boxed, out strategized, and straight out beat. To think or say otherwise, either before or after the fight, would have been bordering on the delusional.

However, I'm not delusional from the other perspective either. This fight was one of the most intense and entertaining Mayweather fights he's had in many years. Both of the fighters thought so, and the boxing announcers expressed the same during the fight. While certainly not winning, McGregor proved he belonged in the same ring with Mayweather; by the amount and kind of punches landed, to rounds won, and to lasting ten rounds. Those aren't excuses. Those are facts. But to ignore or belittle those facts is certainly excuse making, which I'm seeing a whole lot of on this thread.

I simply cannot understand why both fighters can't be given their due respect, and the childish hatred and disrespect of McGregor really rubs me the wrong way. To revel in another man's defeat, whilst also making excuses for how well he did considering his defeat, is the sign of a hater, a small man, a loser. To quote McGregor responding to Jose Aldo after McGregor's loss to Nate Diaz after their first fight:

“Now another man (Diaz) gets a victory over me, and he (Aldo) celebrates it?” McGregor continued. “That’s the sign of a loser... that’s the sign of a runner-up. That’s not the sign of a champion.”

Last edited:

Vinny

Forum GOD!
I took money off both my sons last weekend. Offered them odds of 4/1 which they bit my hand off to take. Both of them are from the YouTube generation who mistook Mcgregor's ability to fight for an ability to box.

Bless em.

I tried to convince them I'd been there and done that. I was doing Judo from 1978 and Karate from 1986 with some cross-training / pressure-testing with bouncers and some lads who went on to be successful in MMA and did a bit now and then with boxers. To a man, the boxers were the best punchers by a country mile, obviously.

There was only ever going to be one outcome when you pit a man who has made $1bn from punching people and avoiding getting punched against a man who has spent (in comparison) a few hours on a punch bag.

Ronnie O'Sullivan can hit a few balls around a table with a stick. Doesn't make him a pool or billiards world champion.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I took money off both my sons last weekend. Offered them odds of 4/1 which they bit my hand off to take. Both of them are from the YouTube generation who mistook Mcgregor's ability to fight for an ability to box.

Bless em.

I tried to convince them I'd been there and done that. I was doing Judo from 1978 and Karate from 1986 with some cross-training / pressure-testing with bouncers and some lads who went on to be successful in MMA and did a bit now and then with boxers. To a man, the boxers were the best punchers by a country mile, obviously.

There was only ever going to be one outcome when you pit a man who has made $1bn from punching people and avoiding getting punched against a man who has spent (in comparison) a few hours on a punch bag.

Ronnie O'Sullivan can hit a few balls around a table with a stick. Doesn't make him a pool or billiards world champion.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
That's a very good analogy Vinny exactly what I thought.

vtmax

Forum GOD!
Granted I’m from Kerry not Crumlin but McGregor is just a toe rag along with his entourage. Wonderful result last night.