May Acquisitions

D

Deleted member 1881

So, on May 6 I placed an order to Maggards for B&M Seville Glissant base.

Some days ago I saw on his website that Seville turned into Excelsior base so I was disappointed because my order was sent many days before.

Today my wife gives me this from the mailman.

IMG_20190520_180145.jpg
IMG_20190520_180317.jpg

It is the Excelsior base. I haven't shaved with it yet, but in a test lather I did on my hand, one thing is important to be mentioned.

This lather is impossible to be drowned.

I loaded less than a minute, and I was keep adding water to it. I was keep going and going. Man, this is not a soap that you could easily shave in a rush I the mornings.

Because of the Xanthan Gum it contains, it needs tons of water and I mean it, I ended using half a big glass of water into it. The secret is to get pass the Xanthan Gum, because most of the water you give, it is absorbed by this ingredient. This is also a reason for bad post shave feel for some people.

Barrister's reply to a video from Michael Freedberg using the Vespers and had kinda dry post shave feel:

"I have been giving a lot of thought to the reports of a lack of post shave, trying to find the cause for something I have never encountered. I think I've finally figured it out.

Looking at your lather, it looks much too dry to me, and there's a reason for it: there's a lot of xanthan gum in Excelsior. Like, a lot a lot. It forms some of the primary lubricity and much of the secondary. But it's a horrendously water hungry material. Even more than you'd think. The stuff is so damn powerful that it takes only a 1% dilution to produce a reasonably viscous gel.

Here's the deal: If, after your first lather-up, you go back to the brush and there are dense clumps of lather that have to be spread out, you're not using enough water. If there are clumps of lather anywhere, you're not using enough water. If it doesn't seem voluminous, or looks thinnish and sort of dusty, it's underhydrated. Keep dumping water into it until that clumpy tendency disappears, until you can come back to the brush and it's easy to spread out without any stickiness. THEN it's ready. It takes a lot more than you think, and it took me awhile to realize what what happening, but I'm fairly certain that that will repair the problem. Should also further improve the residual slickness. "

Also it is intended to foam in every kind of water! Hard or soft.

RandyS

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1881

Been on the fence about this one... Immediate impression? And did you get it straight from Douglas?
I am on the fence too. But there is no intention to pay 24$ for this soap..

I liked the previous formula, but impossible to order directly from Smythe. I find it in Greece for 18 euros(not cheap).