Pass Around Masamune Nodachi

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
Very impressed with its first outing. I took part in the Tatara pass round on TSR a year or 2 ago? and wasn’t very impressed as it wasn’t as smooth as my 6S daily driver.

this is a whole new ball game, I found it very smooth giving an excellent 3 pass shave with a NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome and P&B Bay Rum.

I didn’t have a single weeper (just jinxed the rest of my time with it!!!)

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
Used this for 6 or 7 shaves now and it’s excellent razor although my face is now thanking me for using something less efficient for a daily driver.

I had some of my longest lasting BBS shaves with this, very impressive.

I thought it would be a bit slippery in use but the grip section had been very well designed. The corners of the top cap are quite sharp when apart for cleaning but perfect when assembled.

We went away last weekend and my 16 year old son used. I told him to be careful which he was an he said he thought it was excellent as well.

I did cut myself twice (actual cut rather than little weepers) on my chin and upper lip. These were “deep” enough to open up again on the next days shave but I would definitely recommend this to someone who wanted a very efficient razor.

Thanks for the opportunity to try. It’s now in the tender care of the post office for delivery to the next participant.

sev-8

Guru
First impressions are "a little bit ouch". Tried to shave with a very light touch, riding the cap, but ended up feeling rather raw and with a bunch of mustache weepers from going ATG. May try switching things up and riding the safety bar tomorrow to see if that tames it.

Handle wasn't as slippery as I was expecting which was nice as I was mostly gripping the dimpled section and the feel of the razor was good. Will report back either tomorrow (if I give up) or in a few days if things improve.

sev-8

Guru
Kept hold of this razor for a few more days and have now posted it on to @MPH

The good:
* Very efficient, felt super smooth in the evening and barely needed a touch up pass after my regular WTG/ATG
* Used various soaps and after 6 shaves the matte finish looked as good as when I started, unlike any polished or matte razor that I've used so far

The bad:
* Tried 3 different blades and the shaves were never as comfortable as they were efficient, always ended up with a lot of irritation

I'm glad that I gave it a go, but happy not to own it. Looking forward to using my Feather Popular tomorrow, which I had been using the week before I received the Masamune Nodachi.

Edit: Realised that I didn't say thank you for the opportunity to try it out. Very generous!

Last edited:

MPH

Forum GOD!
So far I'm 2 shaves in.... The first was ok but you just knew this thing could bite at any moment. I had a careful shave with a couple of weepers.

The second day I could instantly feel the blade more and realised my skin wasn't happy to be shaved by this razor 2 days in a row.

I may give it a couple of days and try again, just out of interest, but I think I already know this razor isn't for me. Beautiful as it is. :)

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
So far I'm 2 shaves in.... The first was ok but you just knew this thing could bite at any moment. I had a careful shave with a couple of weepers.

The second day I could instantly feel the blade more and realised my skin wasn't happy to be shaved by this razor 2 days in a row.

I may give it a couple of days and try again, just out of interest, but I think I already know this razor isn't for me. Beautiful as it is. :)
I suspected I’d feel the same way and your findings have confirmed it. Have you tried the Masamune? I had one on loan and really liked it.

Reactions: MPH

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone.

I had my (probably) final shave last night and to be fair the results were pretty good. Going ATG was ok in the easy areas, but felt somewhat dangerous on the harder areas. I only received one tiny weeper, but I just like to grab a razor and shave, not be worried about cutting myself as I'm going. As such this razor is not for me, but those people who say an as-d2 won't even remove their stubble will probably love it!!! Lol.

Thank you so much to ATG, Masamune and everyone involved in making this pass-around happen. Its much appreciated.

I plan to post to @pearse85 on Monday. :)

pearse85

Über Member
Razor has arrived safe and sound but sadly i am in bed with a nasty bout of norovirus (the perks of being a nurse) so realistically will probably be friday before i can test it out. Will review and send it on once used.

Reactions: MPH

MPH

Forum GOD!
Razor has arrived safe and sound but sadly i am in bed with a nasty bout of norovirus (the perks of being a nurse) so realistically will probably be friday before i can test it out. Will review and send it on once used.
Glad it arrived ok. I hope you enjoy it.

pearse85

Über Member
Had my first shave with the razor this evening.
It is a beautifully made razor, shaving with it though felt as if it was going to bite, it did on one occasion causing a little weeper.
I tried to go as lightly as i could but there was still alot of purchase on my skin.
I didnt even try to go atg.
Using alum there was a very noticeable feeling after shaving.
Sharing past sentiments i am glad i have tried but know this wont be a razor for me.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Had my first shave with the razor this evening.
It is a beautifully made razor, shaving with it though felt as if it was going to bite, it did on one occasion causing a little weeper.
I tried to go as lightly as i could but there was still alot of purchase on my skin.
I didnt even try to go atg.
Using alum there was a very noticeable feeling after shaving.
Sharing past sentiments i am glad i have tried but know this wont be a razor for me.
Sounds familiar!! Lol.

pearse85

Über Member
Too much blade feel for me, i dare not try atg on any part of my anatomy😂
A beautifully well made razor but just not for me.
Whos up next? Please drop me a pm and i will get it sent tracked mail.
@ajc347
Thank you to atg for organising this and letting me try it out.