Martin De Candre

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
My most expensive soaps are SV’s which are half the price of these. How do they compare please?
I prefer MdC scent offerings to SV. But that is very personal and I really do enjoy Dolmiti and a couple of others. They just become to heavy after a while IMO. Performance wise I regard SV's MDS to be as good as MdC. I would even say it's post shave feel is better. So in conclusion both have excellent lather properties but MdC has a better scent profile. MdC is also seems like it would last longer but I have no proof of this.

Dr Watson

James
I prefer MdC scent offerings to SV. But that is very personal and I really do enjoy Dolmiti and a couple of others. They just become to heavy after a while IMO. Performance wise I regard SV's MDS to be as good as MdC. I would even say it's post shave feel is better. So in conclusion both have excellent lather properties but MdC has a better scent profile. MdC is also seems like it would last longer but I have no proof of this.
I would add that *for me* MdC is also easier lathering in hard water and cleaner rinsing. Not to say SV is bad in these areas but MdC is particularly good at leaving your face squeaky clean and not leaving a scummy residue on your razor which is a pet hate of mine... Also agree with Nishy that the SV scents will likely be more impressive to the casual sniffer but will often become tiring with prolonged use.

Memhis

Forum GOD!
What are you trying to achieve by mocking other people for no reason?

This is my opinion and even if I had a full tub of MdC the result would be the same. Do you like MdC? Go get some. For you this soap, is the best.

Try more next time, and try also to respect the other members opinion.
Like I said, I apologize. I just see that you are eager to give your opinion on various things around this forum. This is ok, I just don`t get it how you can have so strong believes on things what you have never tried. Fyi, I have Mdc and B&M, haven`t said anything about any of them.

That said, I will no longer discuss about this.

D

Deleted member 1881

Like I said, I apologize. I just see that you are eager to give your opinion on various things around this forum. This is ok, I just don`t get it how you can have so strong believes on things what you have never tried. Fyi, I have Mdc and B&M, haven`t said anything about any of them.

That said, I will no longer discuss about this.

Yes you are right. Like @Wayne said, I have only one razor and one soap, so I shouldn't post my opinion on anything in this forum.

You were very friendly & kind. Thanks.
And thanks @Rowlers for supporting his post against me.

I must not write any opinion from now on or I should post proof that I have something in my den first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes you are right. Like @Wayne said, I have only one razor and one soap, so I shouldn't post my opinion on anything in this forum.

You were very friendly & kind. Thanks.
And thanks @Rowlers for supporting his post against me.

I must not write any opinion from now on or I should post proof that I have something in my den first.
Randy your more than welcome to post your opinion. Opinions are not necessarily more credible depending on your arsenal of hardware/software. What I would urge is backing up opinion with proof. For example on my MdC usage post, I posted up pictures to prove my point. Without proof it can be classified as a sweeping statement. Let's face it we don't know each other apart from a few typed messages here.

If everyone agreed on every comment it wouldn't make for interesting discussion. Likewise if someone likes a post that is in opposition of your opinion, they have every right to do so too. If that post is derogatory it is a different issue.

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
I am sure about this. This thing that costs my-one-day-money-I-can-get-from my-job, is definitely a good soap, but not great. So, instead of getting a MdC I would definitely get a B&M Glissant base.
B&M Glissant base do not have slickness at all. At least to me!
A great soap, nice cushion, but not so.. glissant. :D
The new formula though, excelsior, is great.
Between the Reserve and Glissant, I would prefer the Reserve.

And MdC is a lot better and a lot cheaper soap.
I have about 20 shaves with it and the level is about 2mm under the lid
15 seconds is a really heavy load, it will let you with dry skin, unless we are talking about a silvertip brush without pressing it at all.
MdC needs 0.28gr for 4 passes, where most of the soaps need 1gr and PAA about 4-5gr

MdC must be like glue then, as I found B&M terrible in the slickness stakes...
Odd, how we all find soaps to be so different!
And you are not the only one. :)
If you want slickness from B&M go get excelsior formula.
I think only Vespers have it for now.

AkisT

B&M Glissant base do not have slickness at all. At least to me!
A great soap, nice cushion, but not so.. glissant. :D
The new formula though, excelsior, is great.
Between the Reserve and Glissant, I would prefer the Reserve.

And MdC is a lot better and a lot cheaper soap.
I have about 20 shaves with it and the level is about 2mm under the lid
15 seconds is a really heavy load, it will let you with dry skin, unless we are talking about a silvertip brush without pressing it at all.
MdC needs 0.28gr for 4 passes, where most of the soaps need 1gr and PAA about 4-5gr

And you are not the only one. :)
If you want slickness from B&M go get excelsior formula.
I think only Vespers have it for now.
Spot on.
Having 2 MdC and couple of B&M- (i haven't tried the new formula except the reserve ....and to be honest i actually prefer the older latha formula... but just splitting hairs here), the french soap is better (and cheaper in the long run).

By your calculations a tub of MdC probably will last for about seven hundred 4-pass shaves (which is actually amazing).

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Well, since we do not go into our bathroom with a high accuracy scale and we lather directly from the tub, we always throw away a lot of soap.
But I guess it will last for at least 350 - 400 4-passes shaves.

R181

Grumpy old man
Well, since we do not go into our bathroom with a high accuracy scale and we lather directly from the tub, we always throw away a lot of soap.
But I guess it will last for at least 350 - 400 4-passes shaves.
You know, I have wondered that if you bought the equivalent monetary value of Arko shave sticks how long it would last in comparison. You are looking at about a kilo of Arko compared to 200 gr of MdC. Even if they both last as long you could say that MdC is as inexpensive as Arko. That is not such a bad thing.

Bob

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Let alone that you can not compare MdC with Arko in anything.

Though, for us who have 20+ soaps and we like changing our setup all the time is a problem. :)

R181

Grumpy old man
Let alone that you can not compare MdC with Arko in anything.

Though, for us who have 20+ soaps and we like changing our setup all the time is a problem. :)
Sure you can compare the two, after all they are just shaving soaps. Personally I get as good a shave from Arko as I get from MdC and yes I too have 20+ soaps. Those two things make me wonder why I have bought some of the expensive soaps that I have. In any event there is a lot of hype surrounding quite a few things wrt shaving.

Bob

D

Deleted member 1881

Sure you can compare the two, after all they are just shaving soaps. Personally I get as good a shave from Arko as I get from MdC and yes I too have 20+ soaps. Those two things make me wonder why I have bought some of the expensive soaps that I have. In any event there is a lot of hype surrounding quite a few things wrt shaving.

Bob

My thoughts exactly printed on screen from a person thousands miles away. Period.