Martin De Candre

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I see that people load for significantly less time MdC soaps compared to others (e.g. 10 secs instead of 30) but to be honest I haven't really seen that with mine. I mean I tried it once and it just wasn't enough. I needed more soap. Eventually I've ended up loading the brush similar time as the other soaps - yes, a bit less but not significantly so. Nevertheless I did notice that the soap doesn't seem to decrease (of course it does but not noticeably), I mean I've used it for at least 10 shaves (3+ passes each) and its surface level looks like day one! Perhaps I'm using less pressure when loading with this soap, who knows...
Yep I also load 'normally' to slightly less with my MdC soaps now. Initially the Original caused sensitivity and loading less with a greater amount of water worked well.

I don't find MdC to be the slickest or the thickest. However, it is very good in both these criteria. The beauty of MdC once dialed in is the ability like any other good soap; to provide a layer of protection allowing for a comfortable shave. Too slick and too thick can hinder and MdC IMO gets the balance spot on. Secondly the scent of each puck never tires. In other words it doesn't become an assault to the nostrils after many shaves.

I do find the newer scented pucks (Argumes, 'Vetyver' and Rose) to be slightly softer and thus get used up quicker. Check out my post here:
https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/mdc-tres-bien.6495/page-4

Dr Watson

James
I shaved with hand lathered (no brush) hair conditioner the other day... got caught out whilst staying away overnight and couldn't wait until I got home. It was more than slick enough for a good shave.

What I'm saying is I think we're splitting hairs here, all of these soaps are easily good enough, whether one is 2% slicker than another is not particularly interesting unless you're a NERD :p:

R181

Grumpy old man
I shaved with hand lathered (no brush) hair conditioner the other day... got caught out whilst staying away overnight and couldn't wait until I got home. It was more than slick enough for a good shave.

What I'm saying is I think we're splitting hairs here, all of these soaps are easily good enough, whether one is 2% slicker than another is not particularly interesting unless you're a NERD :p:
Funny you should say that, "almost" all soaps/creams/croaps that I have tried were more than adequate to allow a smooth comfortable and close shave. Some were better than others but generally not by a huge margin.

Bob

Missoni

Fellow Traveller

...and yet is that not what many do on a shaving forum, split hairs to the nth degree, and indeed YouTubers who score a soap for slickness and residual slickness...lets not talk about all the threads on blades and brushes where 1/2mm on a knot or the same blade made in different production plant makes all the difference...:)

D

Deleted member 1881

MdC must be like glue then, as I found B&M terrible in the slickness stakes...
Odd, how we all find soaps to be so different!
Not enough hydration on the B&M? This thing is the father of the water beasts.

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
My most expensive soaps are SV’s which are half the price of these. How do they compare please?

Memhis

Forum GOD!
I am sure about this. This thing that costs my-one-day-money-I-can-get-from my-job, is definitely a good soap, but not great. So, instead of getting a MdC I would definitely get a B&M Glissant base.
I would like to read more your thoughts about MdC vs B&M, as, how it looks, you have tried it both enough to share your opinion. Like your other opinions around the forum, showing your experience...

D

Deleted member 1881

I would like to read more your thoughts about MdC vs B&M, as, how it looks, you have tried it both enough to share your opinion. Like your other opinions around the forum, showing your experience...

No, my experience is limited with both MdC & Barrister. But, my initial thought is that the MdC is overrated and I would definitely choose B&M for the smell and the performance and the fact that does not harm your pocket.

I'm not saying that MdC is not slick..BUT I wouldn't pay that much for it. In any way.

Memhis

Forum GOD!
No, my experience is limited with both MdC & Barrister. But, my initial thought is that the MdC is overrated and I would definitely choose B&M for the smell and the performance and the fact that does not harm your pocket.

I'm not saying that MdC is not slick..BUT I wouldn't pay that much for it. In any way.
Oh, I understand now and apologize. I am full of that kind of experience myself, so, I know what you want to say. Like now, I don`t know if I would recommended you a B&M, when you can get an Arco for a part of a price and saving your pocket. Saying that as I know that being slick is a must, other things are just a stories. This comes from my limited experience, I am not saying that B&M is not slick, if you understand what I mean.

D

Deleted member 1881

Oh, I understand now and apologize. I am full of that kind of experience myself, so, I know what you want to say. Like now, I don`t know if I would recommended you a B&M, when you can get an Arco for a part of a price and saving your pocket. Saying that as I know that being slick is a must, other things are just a stories. This comes from my limited experience, I am not saying that B&M is not slick, if you understand what I mean.

What are you trying to achieve by mocking other people for no reason?

This is my opinion and even if I had a full tub of MdC the result would be the same. Do you like MdC? Go get some. For you this soap, is the best.

Try more next time, and try also to respect the other members opinion.