Maradona RIP...

dc68

-------------
Great player, of that there is no doubt, pity he had an unhealthy love of dictators and was prone to blatant cheating. We all have our flaws.
Never have human contradictions been so clearly displayed in such a short space of time as by the two goals he scored against England at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. Peter Reid is still chasing him today!

D

Deleted member 476

He was a great cheat and volleyball player. South American drug lords must be mourning the loss of their main customer.

He was a great cheat and volleyball player. South American drug lords must be mourning the loss of their main customer.
Yep totally true, he did cheat and he did do a fair bit of Colombian nose dust..however he was an outstanding footballer..in an age when attacking players got very little protection from referees..
Look at some of the tackles the centre halfs put on him in Italy..and in Spain the infamous Goikoetxea leg breaker.
To be fair a lot of the great players have some bad points in their careers. You could even say modern football is now a corporate cess pit.
Was just trying to celebrate the good points of the man..as a footballer, but each to their own.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
An absolutely amazing talent his genius on the pitch was unmatched; to have come from abject poverty, malnourished with little education and yet become, arguably - the greatest footballer of any generation, idolised by millions was an incredible achievement. As he said he lived 100 days in 1 day and his motto from his days of having nothing "keep your head above the shit". His talent and name will be remembered long after the majority of us are forgotten.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Best player of his generation without a doubt but for me Messi is better - and a far better person.

Quique

Forum GOD!
I was 14 years old at the World Cup in Mexico. For me and many of my generation Maradona is the best player in history, always a point better than any other

He only won a World Cup and four years later he was able to win another. What he did with a team like Naples was a miracle

RIP Diego

Last edited:

dc68

-------------
I was 14 years old at the World Cup in Mexico. For me and many of my generation Maradona is the best player in history, always a point better than any other

He only won a World Cup and four years later he was able to win another. What he did with a team like Naples was a miracle

RIP Diego
It must be an age thing! As my first World Cup was Munich 1974 my idol was always Cruyff.

D

Deleted member 476

Oh Pulllllllllleease. FIFA and professional Soccer is the very last professional sport to collaborate and agree to performance enhancing drug testing and even today, still does not dope test nearly to the extent that many other professional sports do. He was doing copious amounts of coke and quite probable, a host of other stimulants and steroids since back at that time, FIFA was not testing anyone.

The only "worlds best title" he carries is maybe "worlds best soccer playing junkie"

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Oh Pulllllllllleease. FIFA and professional Soccer is the very last professional sport to collaborate and agree to performance enhancing drug testing and even today, still does not dope test nearly to the extent that many other professional sports do. He was doing copious amounts of coke and quite probable, a host of other stimulants and steroids since back at that time, FIFA was not testing anyone.

The only "worlds best title" he carries is maybe "worlds best soccer playing junkie"
Do you reckon blasting someone on a RIP thread is amicable? Previous post was deleted for this reason. Perhaps a comment in a separate thread in the ATG cafe would be a more considerate option?