Mac Or PC

jeepie

Forum GOD!
I need to upgrade my knackered laptop .My Windows one has been great but it's ground to a halt and there's been a performance drop off after 3 years or so. I'm contemplating getting a Mac but have never used one - any thoughts? Can you help me decide from a position of low knowledge.

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Are you planning to have a lobotomy any time soon? Because you'd need one before entering "mac world".

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I moved over to a Mac a few years ago and would never go back to a PC. Much easier and intuitive to use. Free OS upgrades are a bonus as well. The only thing I miss is full compatibility with Word but there are some relatively easy solutions to that and Pages has got much better over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Are you planning to have a lobotomy any time soon? Because you'd need one before entering "mac world".
That’s helpful, well done. :rolleyes:

I went Mac about three years ago and wouldn’t go back. The main thing you need to consider is the software that you use now, if any of it is Windows-exclusive you’ll need to find replacements. Windows makes more sense if you’re a gamer. You’ll also need to learn a new operating system, it’s easy to get to grips with but it is different.

I’m using a 2014 MacBook Pro, it’s not slowed down at all. Macs are more expensive than Windows machines but they also tend to have a longer useful life and hold their value much better.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Purchased a Mac Air a couple of months ago and I’m very pleased with it. I dabbled with a Mac Mini a few years ago but that wasn’t as successful as I didn’t have a suitable monitor.

The Air is an excellent machine, very quick to load and works a treat. I also purchased a Magic Mouse as I find for some work the key pad can be a bit tricky. That’s another expensive but nice bit of kit. I’ve had a few iPads in the past so I’m quite use to the finger gestures, but obviously Keyboard wise changing over from Windows can be a bit ‘different’.

The previous windows laptop was only a bit cheaper but didn’t run as good as the Air. I wouldn’t go back to a Windows laptop.

Go into PC World and have a go, failing that an Apple shop.

Dr Watson

James
Thinkpad running dual boot Linux/Windows, if they're good enough for the ISS then they're good enough for me :D

Pretty much everyone I know uses Mac, I caved and bought one (Macbook Pro) really hated it... Was like a "TOMY my first computer". YMMV :p:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Oh and PLEASE no one buy a Chromebook ! College decided to “invest” in Chromebooks for staff. I’ve been given one !!! It’s dreadful for a working environment, in fact my iPad is a better work device. If I’ve intensive work to complete I taken in the Air now. The other day I got close to taking the Chromebook back to the IT department, but found it makes a less than average door stop. Who every investigated needs their head read, who ever gave the nod needs certifying!

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I’ve only had PCs up until now, but I hate them.
Had two iPads and love them.

I’m having the same debate, as I do anything not to switch the laptop on these days and it’s only
a year old Lenovo Yoga i5.
Nothing instinctive about it at all.

Hate windows 10 also

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I’ve only had PCs up until now, but I hate them.
Had two iPads and love them.

I’m having the same debate, as I do anything not to switch the laptop on these days and it’s only
a year old Lenovo Yoga i5.
Nothing instinctive about it at all.

Hate windows 10 also
We did have a Yoga, didn’t last long, you have my deepest sympathy !

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Oh and PLEASE no one buy a Chromebook ! College decided to “invest” in Chromebooks for staff. I’ve been given one !!! It’s dreadful for a working environment, in fact my iPad is a better work device. If I’ve intensive work to complete I taken in the Air now. The other day I got close to taking the Chromebook back to the IT department, but found it makes a less than average door stop. Who every investigated needs their head read, who ever gave the nod needs certifying!
I have to categorically, 100% disagree with you!
I love Chromebooks and think they are going to break into the big time soon. I took a gamble about 5 years ago, nt really sure If I would get on with them, but I did. It does of course depend on what you want to use it for.. Now they pretty much (most of them anyway) run Android apps too. One of the latest features is that you can run Linux on them. I can now run, GIMP (Open source fully featured image editor) very nicely indeed on my low spec Asus C101. Not that I know much about GIMP but it does run along nicely.
Chromebooks are on the UP!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
My Win10 PC is kinda hard work mind; I think because it only get turned on weekly, at best, there are always multiple update to do before I can actually use it in anger.
Don't forget that once you get to Win10, this will update continually for life as far as I am aware, anyway.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have to categorically, 100% disagree with you!
I love Chromebooks and think they are going to break into the big time soon. I took a gamble about 5 years ago, nt really sure If I would get on with them, but I did. It does of course depend on what you want to use it for.. Now they pretty much (most of them anyway) run Android apps too. One of the latest features is that you can run Linux on them. I can now run, GIMP (Open source fully featured image editor) very nicely indeed on my low spec Asus C101. Not that I know much about GIMP but it does run along nicely.
Chromebooks are on the UP!
Perhaps then I have been lumbered with the cheapest and nastiest version. I can’t even remember what it is. I’ll update tomorrow as it’s in my desk at work. It’s also locked down a bit. The touchpad is particularly poor, so much so I bought a cheap wireless.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I like to be able to upgrade and or repair my own stuff and therefore would never consider a Mac laptop built after 2012. I have three old Thinkpads which serve me well, one Windows 10, one Chrome OS, one Linux. Love them.