Looking for advice

Hello! I just got into shaving with a safety razer. I liked how it was cheaper and being a 18 year old in the military I shave a lot and don't have a lot of money, I've used the Gillette Mach 3 but once I saw a few videos from Geofatboy I decided to get one. I have the Van Der Hagen, with King C. Gillette blades and Cremo Bourbon Vanilla. My question is what is a good razer that will last me for years, I want to get a little upgrade from the Van Der Hagen, or even a good kit to get into soaps, of course I don't have much of a budget, $100 USD. So to rap it all up I would like to kinda step up my shave game! I

Ventastic

Legendary Member
If you want to save money, get out while you can :)

Jokes aside though, any safety razor you purchase will probably last years. What is usually recommended for beginners is the Edwin Jagger DE89. A nice middle of the road razor that helps to find what works for you. It‘s also good as a benchmark for further discussion as everyone is familiar with this one. A bit more expensive but great for finding what works best for you (in terms of aggression and efficiency) is the Rockwell 6c. It is adjustable in that you can switch out the baseplates and choose the aggression that suits you best.

Other things to consider are a blade sampler pack, a good synthetic brush (eg Razorock 400 plissoft noir 24mm) and a good soap. These things are perhaps more important than the razor.

Welcome to ATG.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Welcome to ATG. I would suggest an EJ barley Chatsworth and an Omega boar brush, grab any decent soap and your onto a winner.

Rockwell 6C (chromed version) ~$60 (Awesome razor that will let you test different levels of aggression)

Synthetic or Boar Brush ~$20 (A boar brush will smell funky the first shaves and needs some breaking in, but will become great if you give it some time)

Sample pack of 5x5 blades ~$7 (compose your own sample at razorbladesclub or similar, DONT buy a 100 pack right away, dont buy just 1 blade of each, buy a tuck of each, try at least 5 different brands, go for smooth and comfortable rather than sharpest)

Now you should have around $15 left to spend on soap and aftershave.

Here is one example

Proraso Green Tube ~$5
Palmolive shavestick ~$2 (as an alternative if you find the Proraso unbearable and to learn how to use a stick)
Nivea Sensitive ~$6 (aftershave balm)

Or a more adventurous approach to soap and aftershave

Haslinger Schafmilch or Haslinger Sandelholz ~$10
Arko Shave stick ~$2 (Again for variety, the performance is excellent and the scent is.. well, an adventure)
Lidl Cien XBolt ~$3 (Lidls cheap Hugo Boss Bottled rip off, contains alcohol and will sting, smells like the original and will do the job )

Last edited:

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
There are plenty of good budget priced razors, Merkur 34, Edwin Jagger DE89, Gillette Tech and excellent cheap soaps/creams, then a boar or synthetic brush....And you're all sorted, enjoy your quest

ewkist

What do you like or dislike about the Van Der Hagen? After the VDH and after much research, I bought a Merkur 34C. Beautiful well build nice priced razor, but I could not get it to remove enough stubble efficiently. I get better results from the King C Gillette, and slightly better results from the Gillette Heritage. They have a German head by Muhle, which along with Edwin Jagger is part of the standard triumverate of recommendations for new DE shavers. The Merkur Progress is an adjustable that is my current go-to razor, but it costs a little more. The nice part about an adjustable is you get "many razors" in one, which is great if you do not know if you want a more aggressive or more mild razor. I have heard great things about the Rockwell 6C for its smooth performance. Although not an "on the fly" adjustable, you get 6 different plates of varying aggression.

I also second the recommendation for an older Gillette Tech, if you are comfortable with a used razor. I picked up a 1947-50 Tech for under $4 on ebay that to me is the best in mild shave and efficiency, even more than the EG/Muhle/34C. You could by 3 or 4 pretty ones for the price of one of the new razors recommended above. With a vintage Tech you will get a very good well designed and often replicated razor for a very low price. I have not tried one, but Star was a competitor to Gillette back in the 1960s, and those are pretty widely available on ebay in the $10 range. It is reportedly a bit more aggressive than the Tech.

Thank you for your service, and God bless you.

Last edited:

chazt

Über Member
My Star 100 DE razor shaves comparably to the pre war Gillette Tech which is generally considered to be the most efficient of the various Tech iterations.

Note to the OP: for your price point, find yourself a vintage, nickel or gold plated brass Gillette, Star or Schick DE. Truth be told, it’s really all you need. Everything else is simply variation on a theme.

Have fun and enjoy your shaves!

If you want to save money, get out while you can :)

Jokes aside though, any safety razor you purchase will probably last years. What is usually recommended for beginners is the Edwin Jagger DE89. A nice middle of the road razor that helps to find what works for you. It‘s also good as a benchmark for further discussion as everyone is familiar with this one. A bit more expensive but great for finding what works best for you (in terms of aggression and efficiency) is the Rockwell 6c. It is adjustable in that you can switch out the baseplates and choose the aggression that suits you best.

Other things to consider are a blade sampler pack, a good synthetic brush (eg Razorock 400 plissoft noir 24mm) and a good soap. These things are perhaps more important than the razor.

Welcome to ATG.
Thank you, I will be looking for some good Varity packs online! I also got some recommendations on the DE89