Looking For A Custom Brush Maker...

SeanC

Forum GOD!
My 50th is coming up shortly and I want something a little special as a momento…

I'm looking for a maker who does custom pours as my choice of colours (royal blue and amber) doesn't seem available in off the shelf rod stock. I will also need a coin setting in the base and this along with the knot will be supplied by myself. Happy to pay a fair price, but not over the odds and similarly, don't want to be stuck in a waiting list for months on end. Any suggestions?

Wayne

Forum Sod
For really great one off customs look no further than Vladimir Ferdman. He'll make you whatever colour combo you want in any shape. He hasn't set a coin for me but I'm sure it will not be a problem. He'll make the full brush or just the handle for you to supply your own knot. That is my preferred option, I like the Maggard knots.
I have 5 of his brushes and every one is first class. You can get him through Etsy at Loveyourshave.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've only got experience of Mervyn Cadman from quite a while ago. He did me a custom purple and black resin synthetic brush. Mine doesn't have a coin in the base but from memory he said this was no problem.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Mervyn Cadman will do a coin or in my case - custom logos.

Before ordering any custom brush, I would definitely ask about delivery times.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Merv did my first custom brush and it has a special place in my heart. Not only for the brush but for the way he was with me through the process. He was always calm and collected and made me feel totally at ease. He produced a wonderful brush which I'm proud to own and I'll never,ever sell.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Merv did my first custom brush and it has a special place in my heart. Not only for the brush but for the way he was with me through the process. He was always calm and collected and made me feel totally at ease. He produced a wonderful brush which I'm proud to own and I'll never,ever sell.
He was great with me too, we basically discussed ideas and he made some blanks. Top class service

p.b

Forum GOD!
Mervyn made me a brush for my dad's 70th with a coin inset into the base.

Other advice:
You'll probably need a smaller coin than you think as the brush base will need to be +2mm around the coin in order to be robust enough to knocks. That's on the radius so think +4mm on the diameter so unless you want a really chunky handle think small.

I can't find a photo of the brush for my dad but here's one for my brother 40th (I'd forgotten about this until I went looking for my dad's brush pictures.) That's a 1p in the handle, 2p from 1974 were far too big.
upload_2019-2-10_21-27-38.png

D

Deleted member 2076

I'd go for Peter Wolf of Wolf Whiskers - he is the best. For me, nothing comes even close to his work. Period. And I say that owning artisan brushes from El Druida, Grizzly Bay, That Darn Rob, Declaration, Black Eagle, Leo Frilot, etc.

The process of obtaining one from him is a bit tricky though. You'll have to get on his waitlist, which usually fills up in a couple minutes. Then it's around 3-4 months waiting time. Also, if you're outside of the US, there's that problem with getting badger hair to Europe (there are workarounds for this, or so I heard :wink:). But the results are well worth it.

If you're strictly after an artisan from Europe, I'd go with Javier of El Druida, or Carlos of CRV

Last edited by a moderator: