Learning to shave with the Feather Artist Club

wintoid

Out of control
Day 99 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai PINK mild blade (5)

This time I went super-slick almost runny on the lather and tried to get a touch that was so light I could hardly feel it touching my face. Certainly a comfortable shave, and acceptable but definitely some small areas that could have been closer. No nicks or weepers at all. Later today I will have my 100th shave, and probably going to keep on with this approach.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Day 99 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai PINK mild blade (5)

This time I went super-slick almost runny on the lather and tried to get a touch that was so light I could hardly feel it touching my face. Certainly a comfortable shave, and acceptable but definitely some small areas that could have been closer. No nicks or weepers at all. Later today I will have my 100th shave, and probably going to keep on with this approach.
I'm sure you have already mentioned why you don't use the same type of blade for DX and SS but I can't remember.

I'd be interested to learn your reason/s :)

wintoid

Out of control
I'm sure you have already mentioned why you don't use the same type of blade for DX and SS but I can't remember.
Actually, that's not quite right. Days 95/96/97 were SS with this blade, and then 98/99/100 were DX with this blade. I guess I'm just always looking for a magic combination.

wintoid

Out of control
Day 100 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai PINK mild blade (6)

I wanted the 100th shave to be a bit special, so I took a long time over this. Much longer prep than usual, including a Grooming Department preshave, which I hardly ever use, but always seems to help. I also decided to do this without the bath running, so I had the audio helping me as well. As before I went for a really light touch and a super slick almost runny lather. The results were good. Two miniscule weepers, and a slightly scratchy feeling from the blade, so perhaps it's due to be changed. Definitely the closest shave I've had from this blade

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Actually, that's not quite right. Days 95/96/97 were SS with this blade, and then 98/99/100 were DX with this blade. I guess I'm just always looking for a magic combination.
So you are saying there's not a preference for a particular blade for the SS and there's not a preference of a different blade for the DX.

wintoid

Out of control
So you are saying there's not a preference for a particular blade for the SS and there's not a preference of a different blade for the DX.
Yes no preference like that. Top blade in both razors for me is Kai guarded, followed by Feather Super. Everything else seems to not click as well with me.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Congratulations on your centenary of AC shaves. I definitely find a wetter lather helps. I generally hydrate my lather to what I used to do before I started with the AC then paint in a few stokes of the brush that has been dipped in water.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Okay, you've convinced me to give this a go. And I know I'm going to be kicking myself, because this will simply be a gateway to trying out AC-style single edge razors.

I was leaning in the direction of the kamisori DX. But apparently the Kai Captain razor is closer to the Feather DX than the Feather SS, but at a price closer to that of the Feather SS. I've read in a forum post it's not stainless steel, rather some sort of coated bronze, though I haven't confirmed this anywhere else. That would make it similar to the Feather line that existed before the DX ... the RG?

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
It occurred to me that some people feel there's a difference between the DX and the SS in terms of angle,

Never tried an SS but I imagine the DX shaving angle must be different.

I've had over 200 shaves with the SS and DX and I'd say that I can't tell the difference in angle between these two fantastic razors, maybe I do this in autopilot but I never find myself looking for a different angle with either of them.

My preferred razor of the two is the DX but that's only for its aesthetics

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
@wintoid how is the the Feather DX treating you these days?
Sorry Nishy I missed this!

I feel like I gave it a good shot. In the end, this project was a nice distraction during lockdown, but didn't result in me progressing to straight razors, or really wanting to use the AC razors with any regularity.

Weirdly, I used the AC over the bank holiday weekend for 4 days (2xSS and 2xDX), for the first time in ages, so you must be telepathic.

I know AC blades are capable of better than the results I get with AC razors. I probably use my Paradigm SE more than any other razor and it's just a delight. If I could get close to that result with the SS or DX, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I can't.

I feel a bit silly to be sitting on 2x DX razors and 2x SS (one SS is a Chinese clone), but the materialistic aspect of shaving is also what keeps me interested. It was a treat.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Sorry Nishy I missed this!

I feel like I gave it a good shot. In the end, this project was a nice distraction during lockdown, but didn't result in me progressing to straight razors, or really wanting to use the AC razors with any regularity.

Weirdly, I used the AC over the bank holiday weekend for 4 days (2xSS and 2xDX), for the first time in ages, so you must be telepathic.

I know AC blades are capable of better than the results I get with AC razors. I probably use my Paradigm SE more than any other razor and it's just a delight. If I could get close to that result with the SS or DX, I'd switch in a heartbeat, but I can't.

I feel a bit silly to be sitting on 2x DX razors and 2x SS (one SS is a Chinese clone), but the materialistic aspect of shaving is also what keeps me interested. It was a treat.
Simon, I hadn‘t come across the Paradigm before but noted your comments. Can I ask which model you have and whether you have any other SE razor to compare against. I have the Mongoose, Razorock and Colonel so if you can provide comparisons against these it would be ideal.