Learning to shave with the Feather Artist Club

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Day 84 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai Protouch MG guarded (4)

Mindful of the previous comment by @Zwilling I decided to try a slightly shallower angle to see if the scraping was reduced. It was, but I have to say the shave wasn't as efficient.
I suppose that is the trade off. A higher angle is more risky, more efficient and harder on the edge. It can also give you more irritation. To make the most of a low angle, you need exaggerated stretching of the skin and in my experience, relatively short strokes. But shave how you like, of course. If you decide to move to real straights (it doesn't sound like it would be your thing, you like high performance), you need to be a little kinder on the edge to avoid dulling it too quickly.

A question for the group. Throughout my experiment, I've settled on what I've previously referred to as 1:3 hold. In other words, the handle is between my index finger and the other three fingers. Most people seem to do 2:2.

Is there any reason I should start trying to retrain myself to do 2:2? I found 1:3 to make following the contours of my jaw a bit easier, as twiddling the spine between my fingers felt more controllable.
When shaving with a straight with scales, I am 1:3 like you. Suits me. Since moving to Japanese razors, I vary my technique to make whatever I have in my hand work - I agree with @UKRob that you should just do what feel natural. I still try out new strokes and vary hands even though I definitely have a 'system' for shaving my face that works for me. Keeps it fun!

wintoid

Out of control
Day 85 - Feather Artist Club DX with Kai Captain (1)

At some point, I ended up with some Kai Captain blades. I don't really know much about them. It was probably something thrown in with an SE purchase, and I tended to stick to the blades I know. Today I decided I was interested to find out what the Kai Captain blades are all about.

Well. Bloodbath. I managed 2 passes WTG/XTG before calling it a day. I think I had about 5 or 6 weepers. I moved the blade to my SE for the final ATG pass.

I think the blade will stay in the SE. I doubt I'll try it again in the FAC.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Have had two cold water DE shaves while away from home the last week. Nice to have a change.
Returned to the Artist Club last night.
Shave 4 on the Feather Pro Super in the Kai Captain folder.
Best shave on this blade thus far. Smooth, comfortable and sharp. A lovely result and it feels almost effortless when the end product comes from only two easy passes.

Checked, having been following the thread throughout, and my grip is either 1:3 or baseball grip when the scales are opened to in-line.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Have had two cold water DE shaves while away from home the last week. Nice to have a change.
Returned to the Artist Club last night.
Shave 4 on the Feather Pro Super in the Kai Captain folder.
Best shave on this blade thus far. Smooth, comfortable and sharp. A lovely result and it feels almost effortless when the end product comes from only two easy passes.

Checked, having been following the thread throughout, and my grip is either 1:3 or baseball grip when the scales are opened to in-line.
Look back at this thread and the Feathers all appear to need some form of breaking in before they are comfortable. My conclusion is that they start off as pretty rough edges but after a couple of shaves they are good for another 10 or so very comfortable uses. The obvious solution is to get your missus to shave her legs a couple of times before you let them near your chin.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Look back at this thread and the Feathers all appear to need some form of breaking in before they are comfortable. My conclusion is that they start off as pretty rough edges but after a couple of shaves they are good for another 10 or so very comfortable uses. The obvious solution is to get your missus to shave her legs a couple of times before you let them near your chin.
The same seems to occur with Feather DE blades, the first shave it's a bit rough.

I had decided to use the Feather blades on my SE razor for a couple of times first, where I can stand the roughness a bit better. Having said that, I'm enjoying the Schick Proline so maybe I'll try that one day....

wintoid

Out of control
Day 86 - Feather Artist Club SS with Feather Super (1)

That Kai Captain blade was just as horrible in the SE as it was in the FAC. I have never experienced anything as nasty in any SE, so I chucked it after only 2 shaves. I doubt I'll use them again.

So today was a return to the Super blade, a fresh one, in the SS. No troubles with this blade. Comfortable three pass shave. Nothing to see here!

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Been out of the loop over the past week or so as been doing a bit of work on my bungalow.

Decided to use the reduced time available and use my DE again. It is a totally different experience for me, it requires much less concentration which is nice now and then but in general I much prefer the process of using the AC. I'm still pushed for time so just had the two passes but the comfort and closeness is way better than my DE and that was using a Feather Pro on 3rd use which was noticeably smoother than its first 2 uses. I think going back to a 2 pass shave will become my default unless I want absolute BBS, I'm about 90% there with 2 passes so it's not really worth the time, risk of nicking or irritation chasing perfection every shave.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I do enjoy all my razors and whenever I spend a while shaving with DEs before I shave with a SR, I say to myself "I should shave everyday with a SR" :)
if I'm honest, event if I wanted to I can't use the same stuff everyday.... to keep the enthusiasm alive I must use different razor, soap, brush, etc. everyday. I simply enjoy using different equipment everyday and I do get bored of soaps, razors, etc.

Now that I found the right blade for my FAC , Schick Proline, I'm planning to use the FAC once a week.

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
Day 30 - Feather Artist Club SS with KAI Protouch MG

Haven't use the AC for a few weeks, but now two consecutive days. The shaves have been okay. Today I was in a bit of a hurry so skipped the touch ups. Irritation free and a decent result. Right now I'm not sure if I should continue toward straight razor shaving. I get so good shaves with my DE:s and I don't know if I really enjoy all the maintenance with straight razors. Maybe I just keep the AC and use it now and then and sell the few straights I have.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Day 30 - Feather Artist Club SS with KAI Protouch MG

Haven't use the AC for a few weeks, but now two consecutive days. The shaves have been okay. Today I was in a bit of a hurry so skipped the touch ups. Irritation free and a decent result. Right now I'm not sure if I should continue toward straight razor shaving. I get so good shaves with my DE:s and I don't know if I really enjoy all the maintenance with straight razors. Maybe I just keep the AC and use it now and then and sell the few straights I have.
Well, if you don't enjoy the maintenance then why do it, DEs are great to shave.

I don't enjoy stropping either so I try to do it as little as possible.

The FAC is handy to enjoy a good SR shave without the maintenance :)

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Well, if you don't enjoy the maintenance then why do it, DEs are great to shave.

I don't enjoy stropping either so I try to do it as little as possible.

The FAC is handy to enjoy a good SR shave without the maintenance :)
Despite the similarities, Feather type razors and straights are definitely different experiences. Personally, I would always want the option of a straight razor shave as well as other options.