E.U. passaround

1. efsk
2. Gian
3. ventastic
4. ischiapp

Last edited:

Masamune

Forum GOD!
This will be a review of both the La Faulx and a comparison to my X1. The La Faulx arrived about a week ago and I've tried it with a Feather Pro Super, Kai Pink and a Schick Proline. As noted before the La Faulx is pretty mild without the Super blade. It's really comfortable and smooth with both the Pink and Prolines, the Proline in particular. Definitely a daily shaver with these two blades. The Super is dramatically more efficient for me. A touch of blade feel of course. The Proline has almost no blade feel with a lighter handle. Don't think I'd bother with guarded blades.

The supplied handle has excellent and deep knurling in the right places but is a little heavier than I would prefer. After the first two shaves with the Super I switched it out for a Blutt handle which pairs brilliantly with the La Faulx head. The matte finishing is to a high standard but my Tatara is flawless and the La Faulx does have a few faint machining lines. The matte finish gives a good non-slip grip but I would prefer to see a brushed finish. It's just what I prefer.

The head is nice and slim even with the curved lip of the guard. Clearly it's lighter than my X1. Everything locks down tight and I had no problems loading any of the blades I tried. The threading could be a little longer, especially if you are using a washer, but it's not an issue really. I can't help feel the engraving on the baseplate is the wrong way round though...

IMG_0055.jpg

I've never had a problem with the weight of the head on the X1. I've done comparison shaves with Kai Pinks and Prolines and the blade feel, smoothness is near identical really. The X1 has a totally different balance but the shaves have been very similar. Of course, the X1 is a slant and the La Faulx isn't. I have no idea if this makes a difference. Comparing the SE1 and the X1, the slant design is smoother and the head is lighter but I can't tell if the slant effect is making the difference or not.

IMG_0050.jpg

I need to try the Supers with both razors for a proper test. Neither clogs with multiple days growth with any of the blades. The head of the La Faulx is a little slimmer than the X1.

IMG_0057.jpg

I've tried or borrowed a number of other AC razors but the X1 is the only I have now.

Blackland Vector SS, titanium
Colonial General Brass, v2
ATT SE1, SE2

The head on the Vector was too small and the La Faulx is more comfortable. Really I prefer the GEM format but I want to keep an open mind with the Tatara and Wolfman AC razors in development. So far the La Faulx is pretty similar in feel to the General v2 I borrowed. I would order a different handle if buying the La Faulx and possibly move up to the + plate. Kai Pinks are just too mild in the standard configuration. I will get in a few more shaves and comparisons next week. May try a Kai Sharpblade as well but they aren't widely available so maybe not a helpful comparison?

It's a good replacement for the currently unavailable General razor.

Masamune

Forum GOD!
Unguarded Kais, I don't have any guarded ones to try

I've never found the Protouch blade much milder than the regular