King C. Gillette Double Edge Razor

TobyC

Patriot
Could have almost bought a 24mm brush!

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Could have almost bought a 24mm brush!

You see what Gillette have deprived me of?

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Very weighty razor. For £13.40 delivered it appears to be very good value as the head certainly appears to be an EJ/Mühle 89 with an etched top cap.
Only a half knurled handle which could be slippery but we'll see.

It was a must-have for me, just the same way as the recently released Wilkinson Sword butterfly was.
I'll be shaving with it tomorrow I expect, the first DE shave since I switched to AC / shaper for lockdown.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Very weighty razor. For £13.40 delivered it appears to be very good value as the head certainly appears to be an EJ/Mühle 89 with an etched top cap.
Only a half knurled handle which could be slippery but we'll see.

It was a must-have for me, just the same way as the recently released Wilkinson Sword butterfly was.
I'll be shaving with it tomorrow I expect, the first DE shave since I switched to AC / shaper for lockdown.
I feel like I should buy one to encourage them, keep it BNIB and sell it for millions in 50 years time just like Fatboys and Slims now. On the other hand, it won't be worth that much, it's not brass and I'll have probably lost it by 2070. Have plenty of razors to use without buying this one and I'm not that keen on the handle grip as you pointed out.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
The King C. Gillette got wet tonight.
My first DE shave in two months.
It will surprise few to learn that I find the KC Gillette to offer an identical shave to my recollection of that provided by the Mühle R89. I never owned the EJ89 but know that they shave exactly the same too.
I went for three passes: W-, X- and ATG, which is unusual for me but I got carried away enjoying the DE shave so much.
Williams Expert shave cream lather.
Wilko/Gillette blade (fresh).
No sting from the alum. Lea ASB. BBS result.

Gillette did well to choose the tried and trusted 89 head. It was one of the two recommended first razors when I started wet shaving and it certainly gets advocated to this day.
It can provide a close and comfortable shave without being too menacing.
The handle is not ideal for me. I started with a Merkur 34 and that sort of proportion is what i tend to favour. It's too long, the knurling is right but the smooth portion is entirely redundant when I'm shaving. The weight is good and heavy duty feeling.
The fit and finish is what I've come to expect of Mühle and Edwin Jagger, now also P&G Gillette.

Now, when asked what an ideal starter razor is, my answer will be whatever you can find cheaper or prefer to look at: the Merkur 34, the Mühle R89, the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the KC Gillette.
And for £13.40 you'd struggle to find those others.

Dr Watson

James
They stock the range in Superdrug but not, yet, the DE razor. Or at least as far as I can tell. The range is on an introductory offer of 1/3 off so once the DE hits it may pop up under the £15 mark. https://www.superdrug.com/search?text=king+gillette
I popped into Superdrug yesterday to check out this new King Gillette range... They only stocked three items: Beard balm, shave gel & cartridge razor 💩