Kamisori - noob

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
how do you find shaving with the kamisori compared to the straights?
In all honesty I don't feel like I would give an accurate example to go off. I've a ton of hours learning, re-learning, appreciating that I haven't fully learnt and learning some more with straights. In comparison I've spent less than 3 hours learning to hone and use a Kamisori. So naturally I prefer straights. The difference is in balance and weight of the razor. I prefer the heavier grinds and larger straights to the more nimble and lighter Kamisori (I only own one). With regards to time taken to shave it always starts of taking longer but with experience it's not a long procedure.

D

Deleted member 2936

Have to say @saj1985 - you do give out mixed messages.
tbh its like i mentioned in post #10

its not the money factor tbh its more so that yea i really want a kamisori but i just dont want it to be a waste just sat at the side and i wont end up using it

D

Deleted member 2936

In all honesty I don't feel like I would give an accurate example to go off. I've a ton of hours learning, re-learning, appreciating that I haven't fully learnt and learning some more with straights. In comparison I've spent less than 3 hours learning to hone and use a Kamisori. So naturally I prefer straights. The difference is in balance and weight of the razor. I prefer the heavier grinds and larger straights to the more nimble and lighter Kamisori (I only own one). With regards to time taken to shave it always starts of taking longer but with experience it's not a long procedure.
are you a head shaver or just facial hair?

i wouldve assumed that the smaller size of the blade on the kamisori would be better for stuff like shaping like goatee, stick beard etc
saying that i can understand if youre clean shaven why a large size blade like on a straight would be better to get more hair shaven off

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
are you a head shaver or just facial hair?

i wouldve assumed that the smaller size of the blade on the kamisori would be better for stuff like shaping like goatee, stick beard etc
saying that i can understand if youre clean shaven why a large size blade like on a straight would be better to get more hair shaven off
I don't shave my head, used to be clean shaven but now sport a beard (ironically similar to the ATG logo).

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
whats your fave?

and whats most aggressive would you say??
My favorite would be the WCS Charcoal Goods Lithe surprisingly. I reach for it more often especially if I want to focus on something other than the razor itself.
Most aggressive would easily be the Colibri 1.30. It has a hefty amount of blade exposure. I don’t use it really. All my other razors I use. The Colibri 1.10 is acceptable. Just understand the tabs are not covered. I still have to keep that in mind when I use it. I’ve laughed at myself the last time it caught me while I was getting after my upper lip. I was too focused on the point of attack that I snagged my cheek with a corner. It’s good to use different razors for me so I can be more present in the moment and not get lost in or rush the shave.
The FaTip is aggressive and I love it. Great bang for the buck.

D

Deleted member 2936

My favorite would be the WCS Charcoal Goods Lithe surprisingly. I reach for it more often especially if I want to focus on something other than the razor itself.
Most aggressive would easily be the Colibri 1.30. It has a hefty amount of blade exposure. I don’t use it really. All my other razors I use. The Colibri 1.10 is acceptable. Just understand the tabs are not covered. I still have to keep that in mind when I use it. I’ve laughed at myself the last time it caught me while I was getting after my upper lip. I was too focused on the point of attack that I snagged my cheek with a corner. It’s good to use different razors for me so I can be more present in the moment and not get lost in or rush the shave.
The FaTip is aggressive and I love it. Great bang for the buck.
yea i agree fatip are a real snatch with the quality and price point tbh

io know some people complain about the imperfections but i personally think the imperfections make it perfect

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
yea i agree fatip are a real snatch with the quality and price point tbh

io know some people complain about the imperfections but i personally think the imperfections make it perfect
I always enjoy using mine. The tight fit of the blade has brought on complaints but better tight than loose I always say. No, no I don’t and I didn’t just say that now. Oh well. I’ve almost bought a gold one without the OC many times.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
In your shoes, and getting a sense of your preferences from your posts, I’d say get comfortable with the shavette with a mild blade first. Do that for a month, and then if you feel like it you could consider buying a Western straight.

I think that for head shaving a kamisori is an unusual choice. You can use them on both sides, but the angles are not identical. Add the lack of visibility on a head shave and I think it’s simply not the right tool for the job. As mentioned, most kami’s also have one or two spikes, and again on a head shave you’d probably struggle with this.

On the other hand, they are perfect for beard shaping.

D

Deleted member 2936

is there like a simple shortish length video on how to hone and maintain a kamisori razor and a straight?

I'd love to be able to use a kamisori as my main head shaver tbh just hope I'm not being a dreamer though

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
is there like a simple shortish length video on how to hone and maintain a kamisori razor and a straight?

I'd love to be able to use a kamisori as my main head shaver tbh just hope I'm not being a dreamer though
There are plenty if you search and you will need to watch a few to get the gist. Then you will need to learn and practice it. But and it’s a big but you need to learn to strop first

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I mentioned this before on another thread yesterday, find a straight razor mentor. Someone who will help with a progression of stones or other abrasives. I started with a $25 packet of 3m non adhesive back films and a marble floor tile. Decent used leather strops like this.

I have head hair so I don't shave my head, but I do give myself a hair cut. So, if your patient, I figure it can't be that hard. That said, I'd probably use a blade holder.

D

Deleted member 2936

I mentioned this before on another thread yesterday, find a straight razor mentor. Someone who will help with a progression of stones or other abrasives. I started with a $25 packet of 3m non adhesive back films and a marble floor tile. Decent used leather strops like this.

I have head hair so I don't shave my head, but I do give myself a hair cut. So, if your patient, I figure it can't be that hard. That said, I'd probably use a blade holder.
That would be good and it would be even better if there's someone local

Part of me is like I'd love to learn this art but then part of is me is like why when you can just pop in a de blade into a shavette or safety razor with such ease, suppose it's the effort that will make it feel worthwhile, you know?

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
That would be good and it would be even better if there's someone local

Part of me is like I'd love to learn this art but then part of is me is like why when you can just pop in a de blade into a shavette or safety razor with such ease, suppose it's the effort that will make it feel worthwhile, you know?
Mine was a forum member, so not local.

There was an attractive nature to shaving with an edge I produced and a practical nature since I use knives for cooking and such .

Are you teachable?

R181

Grumpy old man
I'd say with a mindset like that not to bother even trying to learn to hone a SR. It does take a sort of dogged persistence to learn it.

Bob