Kamisori - noob

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

hello there, so im a head shaver, ive used cartridge razors, de razors, shavettes for a fair few years but i do have a few questions in regards to kamosoris :)

I've got kamisori style razors which take half de blades, however I don't consider these to be true
'kamasori' if I'm being honest

Where's the best place to get kamisoris? Online like eBay?

how does the sharpness on a kamisori compare to a se blade? or is it essentially the same?

Do you sharpen kamisori in the same way as you would a SR?

Thanks saj

D

Deleted member 2936

Guys I really want to get a kamisori,
I've seen different styles of them, what's best to get? Or is it a matter of personal preference?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I used this guy when I bought mine.
He doesn’t seem to have any for sale, might be worth an email. I found it easier to use than a conventional straight and yes you’ll need a strop.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
hello there, so im a head shaver, ive used cartridge razors, de razors, shavettes for a fair few years but i do have a few questions in regards to kamosoris :)

how does the sharpness on a kamisori compare to a se blade? or is it essentially the same?

Do you sharpen kamisori in the same way as you would a SR?

Thanks saj
To answer your questions let’s first look at what Kamisori means - the word means razor in Japanese, but it differs from a western type straight razor in how the the blade is ground. Western razors are symmetrical whereas Kamisori are asymmetrical - that is, the bevel angle on one side differs from the angle on the other side. Traditionally, they are intended to be used on one side only although, in practice, this is very difficult to achieve. I use a Kamisori occasionally and use both edges without noticing a difference. The other major difference is that a standard Japanese blade has a smaller cutting edge compared to western although there are larger blades available.

Regarding sharpness, it’s easier to compare Kamisori to western straights - and there is no difference providing both are well honed. I am firmly of the opinion that you cannot compare either to an SE blade purely because manufactured blades have a silicon coating that cuts with less resistance than a non-coated blade. Does that make SE blades inherently sharper? - no.

The method of sharpening is very much the same as a western straight in that the same hones are used for both. Because the Kamisori is asymmetrical the number of laps differs from one side to the other whereas a Western straight Is equal on both sided.

Im not a head shaver so can’t comment on how suitable a Kamisori would be - my only comment is that any razor without a guard is much riskier than a guarded one and if I was shaving areas that can’t be seen easily I wouldn’t risk an unguarded blade.

D

Deleted member 2936

How can I not like you Saj. I feel you’ve gone from “what’s the best blade for a shavette? Also what is a shavette?” To kamisori head shaving.

Rock on brother.
lol bro tbh i shaved my head about 70% of it with a shavette the other day got two cuts nothing major but i cant like it took soooo long, i was getting so frustarted and pissed off, i ended up grabbing my de razors and finishing it off

one thing though, i do thing that shaving with shavettes, straights or kamisoris you'lld probably have less irritation tbh as imo it does sort of take the hair off with ease and a bit more effortless but sayuing that these things bite if you dont respect them and take your time,
so yea defo learnt a lesson that shaving is really a lot to do with confidence tbf 👊

D

Deleted member 2936

I used this guy when I bought mine.
He doesn’t seem to have any for sale, might be worth an email. I found it easier to use than a conventional straight and yes you’ll need a strop.
thanks will have a look

D

Deleted member 2936

To answer your questions let’s first look at what Kamisori means - the word means razor in Japanese, but it differs from a western type straight razor in how the the blade is ground. Western razors are symmetrical whereas Kamisori are asymmetrical - that is, the bevel angle on one side differs from the angle on the other side. Traditionally, they are intended to be used on one side only although, in practice, this is very difficult to achieve. I use a Kamisori occasionally and use both edges without noticing a difference. The other major difference is that a standard Japanese blade has a smaller cutting edge compared to western although there are larger blades available.

Regarding sharpness, it’s easier to compare Kamisori to western straights - and there is no difference providing both are well honed. I am firmly of the opinion that you cannot compare either to an SE blade purely because manufactured blades have a silicon coating that cuts with less resistance than a non-coated blade. Does that make SE blades inherently sharper? - no.

The method of sharpening is very much the same as a western straight in that the same hones are used for both. Because the Kamisori is asymmetrical the number of laps differs from one side to the other whereas a Western straight Is equal on both sided.

Im not a head shaver so can’t comment on how suitable a Kamisori would be - my only comment is that any razor without a guard is much riskier than a guarded one and if I was shaving areas that can’t be seen easily I wouldn’t risk an unguarded blade.
yea i hear you and thats good info thanks for sharing mate

yea youre right if you dont be careful they can bite especially as theres no safety bar etc just plain blade exposure

as much as im really wnating a kamisori im just worried it will be a waste and i wont end up using it and just admire the looks of it and i want something i can use on the regular but dont wnat it to take forever as when i shaved with the shavette the other day it felt like it took a lifetime tbh

D

Deleted member 2936

+1 on everything Rob said above. Personally I prefer shaving with straights but I have only one Kamisori and haven't tried the top end models so am bias.
how do you find shaving with the kamisori compared to the straights?

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
lol bro tbh i shaved my head about 70% of it with a shavette the other day got two cuts nothing major but i cant like it took soooo long, i was getting so frustarted and pissed off, i ended up grabbing my de razors and finishing it off

one thing though, i do thing that shaving with shavettes, straights or kamisoris you'lld probably have less irritation tbh as imo it does sort of take the hair off with ease and a bit more effortless but sayuing that these things bite if you dont respect them and take your time,
so yea defo learnt a lesson that shaving is really a lot to do with confidence tbf 👊
I’m not practiced using a shavette. I own five. They all work well enough. I just have my DE ritual down to an enjoyable pace. No rush for me to learn I guess. I’ve got something to look forward to in my twilight years. lol

D

Deleted member 2936

I’m not practiced using a shavette. I own five. They all work well enough. I just have my DE ritual down to an enjoyable pace. No rush for me to learn I guess. I’ve got something to look forward to in my twilight years. lol
what de razors you got?

ive been eyeing up the karve, rockwell 6s and that winning de razor which looks like the henson razor

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Let’s see
Homelikeshaving Start OC .90 (I have the 1.18 on the way)
Homelikeshaving Colibri 1.10 and 1.30
Henson medium purple and green
FaTip Slant OC Lo Storto
WCS and Charcoal Goods set Lithe, Brawny, and Toothsome.
I use the WCS set mostly
I will pick up a copper head from Charcoal Goods when they reopen. Then I’m done.

D

Deleted member 2936

Let’s see
Homelikeshaving Start OC .90 (I have the 1.18 on the way)
Homelikeshaving Colibri 1.10 and 1.30
Henson medium purple and green
FaTip Slant OC Lo Storto
WCS and Charcoal Goods set Lithe, Brawny, and Toothsome.
I use the WCS set mostly
I will pick up a copper head from Charcoal Goods when they reopen. Then I’m done.
whats your fave?

and whats most aggressive would you say??