Kai Captain vs Feather Pro

sonoma95446

A Feather Pro lightly corked beats the Kai IMO.

Kai Pro Touch MG's are better than the Feather Guarded blades though.
I dont cork feathers but find that both blades have their place. Kai ProTouch does not shave as close on me as the ProGuards although I only use either if I'm trying a new very aggresive SE to get the angle right. I normally use like Kai Milds in my SE2 and in my Asylum RX. Feather in my El JeffeV.2, and SE1.
Value is much better with Feather Pro Guards as ProTouch blades are so expensive. I normally use non-guarded blades, Kai Milds by the 10 pack total 200 blades are running in the 90-100 dollar range. Feather pros even less. Just ordered a pack of Original Kai's and will try.

Last edited:

Acer89

James
I dont cork feathers but find that both blades have their place. Kai ProTouch does not shave as close on me as the ProGuards although I only use either if I'm trying a new very aggresive SE to get the angle right. I normally use like Kai Milds in my SE2 and in my Asylum RX. Feather in my El JeffeV.2, and SE1.
Value is much better with Feather Pro Guards as ProTouch blades are so expensive. I normally use non-guarded blades, Kai Milds by the 10 pack total 200 blades are running in the 90-100 dollar range. Feather pros even less. Just ordered a pack of Original Kai's and will try.
Interesting opinion but as the old saying goes YMMV.

I hated the Feather Pro Guards, couldn't get a decent shave and found them extremely tuggy. The Kai Mild aint that mild either. The only two AC blades I use now are the guarded Kai ProTouch MG's and Proline P30's.:)

sonoma95446

Seems like most agree that the Feather Soft Guards are a waste of money. Bought them to attempt to develop some skills with a Feather SS folder but with a small palsy maybe not the best idea. Worked better with a Proguard. It does explain the interesting blade case design. I'm surprised nobody has come up with a razor to take advantage of the small plastic keying mechanism to load the blade in a SE razor.

slapo

It's... alive!
Feather Pro is the AC blade that never worked for me well in any razor or shavette. Always tuggy, regardless of the angle used, number of shaves with the blade or palm stropping a new one lightly. Super Pro were much better, Guards as well. Kai Pinks and Schick Proline work best for me, though. No tugging and they last pretty well.
Curiously, the razor in which the Feather Pro were best for me so far was the Occam's razor. I'd guess it to be the room for slight blade flex that helps the Pros in there. I haven't tried a Kai Captain yet, but not tempted much given other blades work really well for me.

sonoma95446

Feather Pro is the AC blade that never worked for me well in any razor or shavette. Always tuggy, regardless of the angle used, number of shaves with the blade or palm stropping a new one lightly. Super Pro were much better, Guards as well. Kai Pinks and Schick Proline work best for me, though. No tugging and they last pretty well.
Curiously, the razor in which the Feather Pro were best for me so far was the Occam's razor. I'd guess it to be the room for slight blade flex that helps the Pros in there. I haven't tried a Kai Captain yet, but not tempted much given other blades work really well for me.
Occams razor what a great scifi joke. Let the people is on it and google the rare occams. Not the Super as you might end up with warp speed!!! Thanks for the chart as I wish more companies would offer them.

sonoma95446

Sharp and smooth goes to the Feather Pro. But razors play a big variable. With regards to the ATT SE2 and Asylum. Kai blades are sharp but a little too crisp for me (ATT). However, put a Kai pink in an ATT SE2 and you have everything for a smooth, sharp and efficient shave. It doesn't work very well for me in the Asylum. Not really tested longevity. My Asylum dulls a Feather Pro quicker, than with the ATT SE2. However, again the ATT SE2 is a little to sharp with a Feather Pro.
Agreed! Kai Pinks Rock my ATT SE2. For El Jeffe v2 which regardless of neg opinions of designer is also excellent with Feather pro's. Asylum RX? I think it's over the top crazy even with the Kai pinks they sent with it. Pro Guards are for really bad hangovers or if you can't afford to screw up :) Find your type or in my case types of blades and buy bulk save at least 40% from Japan on Ebay. In regards to a later post Kai Pinks are not guarded. They use PTFE on titanium but protrude less then feather pros. I use Kai Pinks or Feather pros on everything.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I've tried the Kai Pinks, Schick Proline P30s, Feather Pro & Pro-guard's in my General and found I got the best and most shaves with one blade from the Kai Pinks!
This was closely followed by the Schick Proline blades and then the Feather Pro-guard.
The Feather Pro was far too unforgiving to my beautiful face :D