Joseph Rodgers Tiffany & Co Set

Vacumatic

Testy
I have been thinking about this set and why it might have been left unused. Is it possible that it was a travelling set, which may explain the corkscrew, could it have been a gift to take to War?

A failing of mine is to create a backstory until the truth becomes accessible, unfortunately often more prosaic.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I have been thinking about this set and why it might have been left unused. Is it possible that it was a travelling set, which may explain the corkscrew, could it have been a gift to take to War?

A failing of mine is to create a backstory until the truth becomes accessible, unfortunately often more prosaic.
The fact that there are two razors leans towards a travelling set as opposed to a dresser set - although that’s not conclusive as there are many examples of quality two razor boxes. I suspect that you’re correct that the sets were produced with the military in mind - and, even though the corkscrew shape is not optimal, it would surely be better than nothing at all.

@cotedupy - if the cork in a bottle stands proud then you don’t need a corkscrew. In any event I doubt that that the corkscrew in this set would be small enough for a medicine bottle - and I doubt that anyone would want to create an air passage into the bottle if the cork was fully penetrated.

cotedupy

Guru
The fact that there are two razors leans towards a travelling set as opposed to a dresser set - although that’s not conclusive as there are many examples of quality two razor boxes. I suspect that you’re correct that the sets were produced with the military in mind - and, even though the corkscrew shape is not optimal, it would surely be better than nothing at all.

@cotedupy - if the cork in a bottle stands proud then you don’t need a corkscrew. In any event I doubt that that the corkscrew in this set would be small enough for a medicine bottle - and I doubt that anyone would want to create an air passage into the bottle if the cork was fully penetrated.

If one's clever enough then you don't need a corkscrew to get into a bottle of wine at all... bastards always nab them at security and I end up having to use a shoe!

(Old medicine bottle had 'driven' corks I believe, so wouldn't have sat proud. You can kinda see it from the way those corks in the pictures are now wider at the top - cos they've been originally inserted with pressure. Which compacts them considerably, then if they're half re-inserted into the bottle then the top bit expands. Which should also mean that putting a corkscrew through it won't actually create a permanent air passage - compacted cork will reseal itself).

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
If one's clever enough then you don't need a corkscrew to get into a bottle of wine at all... bastards always nab them at security and I end up having to use a shoe!

(Old medicine bottle had 'driven' corks I believe, so wouldn't have sat proud. You can kinda see it from the way those corks in the pictures are now wider at the top - cos they've been originally inserted with pressure. Which compacts them considerably, then if they're half re-inserted into the bottle then the top bit expands. Which should also mean that putting a corkscrew through it won't actually create a permanent air passage - compacted cork will reseal itself).
A corkscrew could help get into your Laudanum bottle also...

I've got a fair amount of arthritis... The Victorians had some good ideas..