Iwasaki Razor Information

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Gentlemen,

There are frequent questions about Iwasaki razors, sizes, grinds, etc. I don’t have all the answers but what I do have is an Iwasaki brochure that was provided to me by Takeshi Aoki (AFrames Tokyo) maybe 6-7 years ago. I take it that if the illustraion is not marked with a fraction it is full hollow, otherwise the usual 1/2 or 1/4 hollow convention seems to apply.

Maybe this brochure will be of some help to those shopping for an Iwasaki razor.

Regards,

Steve

473DA4C5-193D-45A8-B332-0A826CF92A2D.jpeg
B19CA617-F40A-4299-98B5-66CC0AF561A5.jpeg
BA864932-5A0C-4E8F-8EBC-513709CBE9B3.jpeg

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
This link also gives you the most comprehensive information you will find regarding Iwasaki razors.

JamieM

I thought I read it somewhere, it's definitely so Fukutaro Tanifuji did make razors for Iwasaki, in fact, the Japanese Emperor used a Tanifuji straight razor.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Jamie,

I am not aware that Tanifuji made razors for Iwasaki, but he did reportedly scale and finish the Iwasaki Western (folding) razors. Iwasaki realized that he would have to have another facility to finish and scale the Western razors, so he relied on his friend and mentor, Tanifuji to do that for him since Tanifuji was already equipped to do that.

Oddly enough, many years back one of those ivory commemorative razors was on eBay - I did not know what it was and thought ~$450 was too much. This may be the one Ovidiu Cortega now has. Needless to say, I would like to have that opportunity again!

:cry:

JamieM

Jamie,

I am not aware that Tanifuji made razors for Iwasaki, but he did reportedly scale and finish the Iwasaki Western (folding) razors. Iwasaki realized that he would have to have another facility to finish and scale the Western razors, so he relied on his friend and mentor, Tanifuji to do that for him since Tanifuji was already equipped to do that.

Oddly enough, many years back one of those ivory commemorative razors was on eBay - I did not know what it was and thought ~$450 was too much. This may be the one Ovidiu Cortega now has. Needless to say, I would like to have that opportunity again!

:cry:
Sorry, Steve, got our lines crossed I meant to say he finished his razors, I didn't mean he made the steel or forged the blanks. :)

Last edited: