I'm Falling Apart

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
To get to 11 Stone 5lb I need to loose another 17 lb which is depressing. To top it all I can’t exercise much as the arthritis in my knee stops that.
I’m surprised that you’re doctor haven’t told you, that, sex is the best exercise to burn your body fat and help you loose some weight as you age old fart.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
As long as you don’t over killed your own bloody kidneys while you’re becoming an old fart, otherwise you’ll won’t end up a happy camper.
Yeah. You hit the nail on the head. I don't drink that much. I've cut it down to about a drink or two at a time and maybe once or twice a week. I had undiagnosed high blood pressure for a number of years (don't know how many) that left me with a mild case of stage 2 kidney disease. I've been seeing a nephrologist who has me stabilized and under control. Not looking to make that situation worse. Increased exercise will definitely help that out.

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
Yeah. You hit the nail on the head. I don't drink that much. I've cut it down to about a drink or two at a time and maybe once or twice a week. I had undiagnosed high blood pressure for a number of years (don't know how many) that left me with a mild case of stage 2 kidney disease. I've been seeing a nephrologist who has me stabilized and under control. Not looking to make that situation worse. Increased exercise will definitely help that out.
And drink plenty of water to help clean out your kidneys and liver as well old fart

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Ok. So, first the bad news. I'm still at 218 lbs. Now the good news. Part of my plan is to increase my level of fitness. I've been trying to get more bike rides in. But I've not been able to go beyond the 9 mile loop I do. And it's been taking me an hour to do it. When I was in better shape I could do it in 40 to 45 minutes. Well, I rode yesterday (Saturday) and did a single 9 mile loop. Today I rode again and after the first loop I decided it was such a beautiful day and I was feeling pretty good so I took off and did a second loop. So, I got 18 mile in today. Interestingly, while I thought riding two days in a row was going to be hard, quite the contrary. I felt stronger. And I finished the second loop quicker than the first. Things are looking up.

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
Ok. So, first the bad news. I'm still at 218 lbs. Now the good news. Part of my plan is to increase my level of fitness. I've been trying to get more bike rides in. But I've not been able to go beyond the 9 mile loop I do. And it's been taking me an hour to do it. When I was in better shape I could do it in 40 to 45 minutes. Well, I rode yesterday (Saturday) and did a single 9 mile loop. Today I rode again and after the first loop I decided it was such a beautiful day and I was feeling pretty good so I took off and did a second loop. So, I got 18 mile in today. Interestingly, while I thought riding two days in a row was going to be hard, quite the contrary. I felt stronger. And I finished the second loop quicker than the first. Things are looking up.
Get yourself an Lifespan fitnesses EXER-90H exercise air bike

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
Guys, have a look into Metformin if you're having sugar and weight issues.

My endocrinologist told me it's plant derived with low side effects. He even uses it himself to help cut food cravings and he's a skinny bugger.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Years ago I did high impact aerobics. Three times a week. Today my back, knees and joints are paying for it. This morning I’m off to the chiropractor. I remember the motto of the sniper.......if you run you’ll only die tired.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Years ago I did high impact aerobics. Three times a week. Today my back, knees and joints are paying for it. This morning I’m off to the chiropractor. I remember the motto of the sniper.......if you run you’ll only die tired.
Yeah. You have to be careful to do exercise that is appropriate for your particular body condition and age. My joints aren't great so I have tended to gravitate to low impact aerobics like biking and the elliptical. Unfortunately I've been doing pretty much nothing for the past few months. The bike is sitting on the bike stand in the basement staring at me every time I go down there. The elliptical doesn't just stare at me. I swear it's laughing at me every time I head to the basement to play the drums or watch some tv or listen to music. I'm over 220 and I'm no longer checking. With the weather now staying in the 30's during the day I highly doubt I'll be able to muster the motivation to dress warm and get on the bike. So that leaves the elliptical. One of these days I'll hop on it and won't get off until I put somewhat of a dent in my issues. The wife and I just spent a few hours cleaning out the attic. That entailed many many trips up and down from the first floor to the third floor. Pretty good workout. And this weekend my son and I are going to be volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and assume they'll be putting me to work. This could be a good jumping off point to hop on the elliptical staring on Monday. I'm actually feeling a little motivated right now. As for the swelling in my legs, it has dissipated significantly. I think cardio would probably eliminate it after a few weeks of steady exercise. Until then, the meds are doing what they were intended to do.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Yeah. You have to be careful to do exercise that is appropriate for your particular body condition and age. My joints aren't great so I have tended to gravitate to low impact aerobics like biking and the elliptical. Unfortunately I've been doing pretty much nothing for the past few months. The bike is sitting on the bike stand in the basement staring at me every time I go down there. The elliptical doesn't just stare at me. I swear it's laughing at me every time I head to the basement to play the drums or watch some tv or listen to music. I'm over 220 and I'm no longer checking. With the weather now staying in the 30's during the day I highly doubt I'll be able to muster the motivation to dress warm and get on the bike. So that leaves the elliptical. One of these days I'll hop on it and won't get off until I put somewhat of a dent in my issues. The wife and I just spent a few hours cleaning out the attic. That entailed many many trips up and down from the first floor to the third floor. Pretty good workout. And this weekend my son and I are going to be volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and assume they'll be putting me to work. This could be a good jumping off point to hop on the elliptical staring on Monday. I'm actually feeling a little motivated right now. As for the swelling in my legs, it has dissipated significantly. I think cardio would probably eliminate it after a few weeks of steady exercise. Until then, the meds are doing what they were intended to do.
My brother and I both worked in the printing industry until that industry collapsed. Thanks to internet and computers. Both of us in our 50’s. Jobs are hard to find at that age. My brother, however, got a job with the National archives in Kansas City. He pulled files of documents stored in caves. He had a clipboard of what to pull, a cart to put them in, small ladder to climb to retrieve the files. He said he walked about 3-4 miles a day, climbed the ladder many times and pulled boxes weighing about 50 pounds. He did this till he was 72 years old and said with all the exercise he was in as good f shape as when he was in the army.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
My brother and I both worked in the printing industry until that industry collapsed. Thanks to internet and computers. Both of us in our 50’s. Jobs are hard to find at that age. My brother, however, got a job with the National archives in Kansas City. He pulled files of documents stored in caves. He had a clipboard of what to pull, a cart to put them in, small ladder to climb to retrieve the files. He said he walked about 3-4 miles a day, climbed the ladder many times and pulled boxes weighing about 50 pounds. He did this till he was 72 years old and said with all the exercise he was in as good f shape as when he was in the army.
That has to be Subtropolis. I once went on a tour of that place. It's quite literally amazing. Fascinating. It actually blew me away when they started providing some of the statistics indicating how big it is and how much space some of the largest tenants actually occupy. Totally wild. But you're giving me some ideas. Maybe the Nature Conservancy might want someone with some real estate background. I'm going to have to explore that one. Thanks.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
That has to be Subtropolis. I once went on a tour of that place. It's quite literally amazing. Fascinating. It actually blew me away when they started providing some of the statistics indicating how big it is and how much space some of the largest tenants actually occupy. Totally wild. But you're giving me some ideas. Maybe the Nature Conservancy might want someone with some real estate background. I'm going to have to explore that one. Thanks.
It was originally a limestone mine. Many green areas of Kansas City are undermined and building on top of those areas is restricted.

Crossroads

Forum GOD!
When bike riding any significant milage is difficult, because of fitness, weight, injuries, disability or age - the answer is an electrically assisted bike which gives you an extended range, helps you up the hills and gets you home ok when you've gone too far or overdone it.
Mine has been a life saver.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Well done on the 18 ,miler.
Much easier when youare doing something you enjoy eh?

I haven't done much cycling this year. Had other stuff that needs doing.
I took a job a couple of years ago that keeps me moving about.
I deliver for a supermarket.
So it is little and often. Carrying crates to the door (sometimes a bit more extreme than that).
I only live 2 miles from work as well, so I cycle that.
It is uphill on the way home, so I push that a little when I fancy it.
Because I do that, I am happy to cycle 3 or 4 miles if i want something in town.
I originally started back by doing any trip that was a mile or less.

I know a few people who have got an ebike.
They absolutely love it.
Gets you out further and you can adjust how much effort you put in.
A couple of people mean it gets them on the bike to commute. Exercise and saves money. Which they wouldn't ordinarily because of the hills.
Another couple just use it for pleasure. They get out fairly frequently on them.
Another guy had an op and something removed (can't remember what) he used to MTB a lot, and now uses his E MTB.
Puts a massive grin on his face.

I am thinking of getting a skipping rope for my downtime when I am out and about.
I reckon I fit into the demographic. It seems to range from a 5 year old girl to Mike Tyson.
(Not saying which I am closest to)