Ikon SBS and Gillette Nacet.

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
So had my first shave with two unknowns: Ikon SBS razor, paired with a Gillette Nacet Stainless blade.
These are both new to me, heard good things about both, so thought I'd team them up.
Had the worst shave ever since starting DE shaving, over 1 year ago.
Using Proraso white pre shave, soap & balm.
The bottom plate was on the "milder" setting and used the safety bar option.
Cuts everywhere, blood and very raw, red skin.
Not even little weepers but full on gashes!
Taken a whole day for my skin to recover.
I like to think my technique is pretty much dialled in now.
Is it the razor? Is it the blade? Or is it the combination of both??
I will try them both out in different pairings, but has anyone experienced similar results?
Any recommendations gratefully received.

Last edited:

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
That is my experience with Nacet, though many love them.
I'll try the Nacet in a mild razor to see if there is any difference.
Luckily I tried them in a DE razor first. I actually bought them to go in a shavette! (Razorine).
I have a few razors and blades in my rotation, some of which may be considered aggressive, but this was my worst experience by far.

p.b

Forum GOD!
My recommendation is to only change one thing at a time. New razor, same old soap and blade. That way you’ll know.

Also, are you sure the plate was in the mildest orientation? I think I read that the Plus signs indicate but to my mind the way they indicated seems counterintuitive.

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
Rough shaves are the pits mate. Hope your face heals soon.
Cheers @Wayne
I haven't given up hope.
Just a poor experience, where I'd hoped for something sensational.
After my shave I watched a couple of vids & even Spencer the Aussie YouTuber had similar results.
Face is healed and ready for another shave. Something I'm more used to though. Lol.

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
My recommendation is to only change one thing at a time. New razor, same old soap and blade. That way you’ll know.

Also, are you sure the plate was in the mildest orientation? I think I read that the Plus signs indicate but to my mind the way they indicated seems counterintuitive.
Hi @p.b
I had the "dimples" or "circles" faced down and the "plus" sign facing upwards. That, I believe, is the milder orientation.
I agree, one unknown at a time.
Live and learn. :facepalm:

Grishnak

Forum GOD!

Good advice and something I wish I had followed trying out my first boar brush and a new soap.
Revised this on the second and third shave, trying each with familiar items - much better.

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
I hope your next shave is better
Thanks @p.b
First bad one to be honest!
I've used a few razors including Gillette, Merkur, Muhle, Supply, Mongoose, ATT and shavettes using Feather blades.
Had the odd knick here and there, but nothing on the scale experienced with the SBS and Nacet.
I hope to tame it! :thumbsup:

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
Good advice and something I wish I had followed trying out my first boar brush and a new soap.
Revised this on the second and third shave, trying each with familiar items - much better.
True!
I foolishly thought I knew better!
Usually I would not mix up new hardware.
Try new razors and blades with something you are familiar with, gives great results and a benchmark to compare them with.
Lesson learnt (the hard way!)
I will definitely revisit them and pair them up with something different. Just not together for the time being. Lol.

Bbbbob71

Forum GOD!
Revisited the Gillette Nacet paired with a trusty EJ89.
What a difference!
Had an amazing shave.
3 way pass and touch ups, with not a single knick or red raw skin.
I know it's probably impossible to cut yourself with the EJ, but I really wanted to try out the razor blade again with something I'm very familiar with.
Super smooth and efficient.
Could definitely feel the sharpness of the blade!
Can only think that and the SBS is not a great combo for me.
Next round: the SBS and maybe a Voskhod.
Funny old game. :confused: