Ice scraper

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I thought I recognised this ... I have one somewhere ...

I just need to fire the car up, pop the blowers on and our kind of frost will clear in 2 or 3 minutes. SAABs ... made for the winter :D

aclf101

Swedish icescrapper works a treat - 2nd year of using it and strangely it works really well being pulled towards you too rather than the usual pushing the edge towards the ice. Or is that how it's supposed to be used?

Being a bloke I assumed it didn't even have instructions for me to ignore!!!

halvor

a most elusive fish
I thought I recognised this ... I have one somewhere ...

I just need to fire the car up, pop the blowers on and our kind of frost will clear in 2 or 3 minutes. SAABs ... made for the winter :D
"SAAB. The Swedish, come Chinese, car made for Halifax winters" more like?

We just had a series of freezing rain days without me using the car. Closer to Halifax, Nova Scotia than Halifax, UK, I recon. Getting at the windows for a while I eventually had to give in and just sit in the car with the engine running for a lot more than 2-3 minutes.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Of course since I bought the naffing thing the weather's warmed up and I've not needed it again. Typical.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
"SAAB. The Swedish, come Chinese, car made for Halifax winters" more like?

We just had a series of freezing rain days without me using the car. Closer to Halifax, Nova Scotia than Halifax, UK, I recon. Getting at the windows for a while I eventually had to give in and just sit in the car with the engine running for a lot more than 2-3 minutes.
I don't miss 'em ...

Few years back, I lived a mere handful of miles away but practically double the altitude. We got winters! We got winters that nobody else did. Our community website was humorously called 'It Snows Up Here in June" ... and it did (summer cricket match snowed off!). There were three years running where the snow that dropped at the end of October wasn't gone 'til the following April and certainly two years where the daytime temperature didn't rise above -5. I recall going out on Christmas Day, over the back up to the ridge with a thermometer and getting an out of the wind temperature of -17. That was a VERY cold winter. There were two together, three really although one was just a bad winter.

Back then I drove a "classic" SAAB 900. Mrs did, too. We were never stuck, although we generally didn't lock the cars as the locks would freeze up (yes, impromptu bag of piss held against the lock got me in once). Leather interior, stiff as a board! Always fired up. Those heavily curved windscreens really did need a damn good scraping.

I now drive (have done for the last 8 or more years) a MY2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero. Lovely car. Handbrake freezes on in winter - ironic, as it's a drum mechanism inside the hub, designed that way for Scandiwinters to prevent the handbrake from freezing on, so I leave it off if the temperature threatens to drop under zero. That's the car I can jump in, fire up and let the blowers do their thing ... seriously, the hot comes through so quickly :)

R181

Grumpy old man
Seems funny hearing about a very cold winter at -17C. Seems like good parts of normal winter over here are that and worse. As for ice scrapers they live in my car for a good 4 or 5 months every year.

Bob

pjgh

Forum GOD!
The colder ones were easier ... and actually felt less cold. British zero is horrid. Once it gets under -5 it's bearable, -10 really quite nice. Hovering at zero is chilled to the bone, arthritis kicking in even in young men. Get the temperature down and it's much nicer.

R181

Grumpy old man
The colder ones were easier ... and actually felt less cold. British zero is horrid. Once it gets under -5 it's bearable, -10 really quite nice. Hovering at zero is chilled to the bone, arthritis kicking in even in young men. Get the temperature down and it's much nicer.
Now, that is true. If you have any dampness in the air it cuts to the bone in winter. The coldest I have felt here was in Montreal PQ and Halifax NS because of that. Luckily it is mostly a dry cold here. Currently -16C/-23 with wind chill heading for -20C/-30 with wind chill by morning. Can't wait for winter to officially arrive. Will be plugging the block heater in for a couple of hours before starting the car tomorrow.

Bob

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I've just bought one of these: http://www.swedishicescraper.se/ This morning I had that horrid thin but rock-hard frost on my windscreen and it went straight through it, unlike the previous petrol-station one I had where I was out there chipping away at it for ages. They go for about £12 on Amazon, which is a bit pricey for a scraper but it's worth it for the time saved and it's nice and solid so it should last.
My order just arrived - so did the snow and cold.