I am currently reading ...

Francorelli

Forum fella

Recently finished the second book in the partly-historical/mostly-fantasy Age of Iron trilogy.

Entertaining enough in a sub-Abercrombie way. Sadly, the incongruous Asterix references towards the end were so clumsy they've nearly put me off reading any further...

I'm a big fan of Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series. Three-quarters of the way in, and I can't shake off the feeling that he's just treading water with this sixth book.

Last edited:

frost liam

Forum GOD!

A typical summer book with a beer at the beach (for the beach it will be in 3 weeks :( )
i like the fact Steve berry is able to renew his subjects (from religion , to mythology and now from past facts from US history),
From the few who don't him, it's a mix between james bond and indiana jones (some critics said it's a dan brown like but in a better way)

bandito

Ex-Addict
I haven't read it, nor seen the film. but I will definitely read it now that you've recommended it.
Let me know what you think if you do read it - I found it to be a cracking story - quite a slow read for me, but in a relaxed, contemplative way as opposed to finding it difficult or boring.

Francorelli

Forum fella

It's been a couple of years since I've read any sci-fi, after devouring Orson Scott Card's excellent Shadow saga.

Corey is a new author for me and he didn't disappoint. Compelling, filmic storytelling - I can see why they made a TV series based on the books.

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
J. D. Vance: Hillbilly Elegy

The further I read, the more compelling the story, and the more it also helps illuminate some of the social issues in the U.S.

Lann

Forum GOD!
Picked up an interesting book for anyone, like myself, interested in military history, from my local library "Great Military Disasters - From Cannae to Stalingrad" by Julian Spilsbury. Easy but informative read.

KAV

s-l1600.jpg

My 'seatime' on USCG discharge lists six months duty on a icebreaker and one Southpat ( Southern Patrol) to Antarctica. I brought along Shackelton's SOUTH and enjoyed tracing his voyage, the rare opportunity to visit his gravesite and drink a smuggled shot of whisky in toast. I have a Antarctic service medal, just about the only one not
rescinded and the only one I cared about anyway. I imagine of all the many people I've read or read about he has
always been the one I admire most.
The old books on polar exploration are all very collectable and expensive. I've managed reading what I can at libraries
under the watchfull eye of the collections clerks, a few reprints and wrote a scathing 'Letter to the editor' at OUTSIDE magazine when some ignorant twit made an unfounded insult to Sir Earnest and saw it published with a retraction- rare for that useless rag.
I was out and about and passed a garage sale, our residential equal of a boot sale. The usual junk; late uncle Ralph's old golf clubs, musty suits and wrinkled ties. Among it all was this book. I CALMLY asked how much? Oh, is $1 to much? I bought it and walked away quickly lest someone see the flash of exultation in my eyes poker players watch for. These books are never less than three figures.
Home safely I am playing this odd old musical score titled Antarctica with bone chilling wind effects. It's been 100 F give or take this summer and all my winter woolens lie drycleaned and safely folded in a Chinese camphorwood chest with no foreseeable use.
MY Antarctica is breaking up and it also breaks my heart. I love this book and curse not being born earlier.

Last edited:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Lady Fatboy is Norwegian and ever time I walk to the mall I have two choices - go past the big statue of Amundsen or the small statue of Amundsen.
View attachment 16207

My 'seatime' on USCG discharge lists six months duty on a icebreaker and one Southpat ( Southern Patrol) to Antarctica. I brought along Shackelton's SOUTH and enjoyed tracing his voyage, the rare opportunity to visit his gravesite and drink a smuggled shot of whisky in toast. I have a Antarctic service medal, just about the only one not
rescinded and the only one I cared about anyway. I imagine of all the many people I've read or read about he has
always been the one I admire most.
The old books on polar exploration are all very collectable and expensive. I've managed reading what I can at libraries
under the watchfull eye of the collections clerks, a few reprints and wrote a scathing 'Letter to the editor' at OUTSIDE magazine when some ignorant twit made an unfounded insult to Sir Earnest and saw it published with a retraction- rare for that useless rag.
I was out and about and passed a garage sale, our residential equal of a boot sale. The usual junk; late uncle Ralph's old golf clubs, musty suits and wrinkled ties. Among it all was this book. I CALMLY asked how much? Oh, is $1 to much? I bought it and walked away quickly lest someone see the flash of exultation in my eyes poker players watch for. These books are never less than three figures.
Home safely I am playing this odd old musical score titled Antarctica with bone chilling wind effects. It's been 100 F give or take this summer and all my winter woolens lie drycleaned and safely folded in a Chinese camphorwood chest with no foreseeable use.
MY Antarctica is breaking up and it also breaks my heart. I love this book and curse not being born earlier.

Francorelli

Forum fella
Another new author for me. An engaging yet unexceptional crime thriller. The story is made slightly more interesting due to its location, Brighton, where I lived for many years.