How/where do you keep your SR's ?

Valvewarmer

Hi all,

I have been using a long bladed shavette for 4 months and have a short bladed one that I will try and also have a SR which I will use after I get it honed.
So that's 3 I will have the option of using (maybe I'll want to try/buy a few more, you know what it's like...).

Where do you folks keep your SR's ? - do you just keep them in a bowl/cup/container with your toothbrush when not in use ? or keep them in a drawer and bring out the one you'll be using ?

The chance I'll be buying anything high-end, worthy of display is minimal, so not really looking for display, more for a practical everyday type storage idea.

Thanks

ScuddyHewson

Forum GOD!
My toddler was found playing around with one of my DE razors a couple of months ago and the mother was extremely upset.
I tried to pour oil on troubled waters explaining the razor was unloaded and all. But the look on her face made it clear I was in deep, deep trouble. So nowadays I keep all razor related sharp objects in my gun cabinet, including SRs DEs blades and folders.

It is a dry storage gun cabinet and the low humidity atmosphere is good for the more high end SRs I think :).

Last edited:

Valvewarmer

Thanks Estariol.
Because I'm using mine every day, it would be nice just to reach over and grab one, you know, have my shaving kit/toiletries in the one convenient place.

Valvewarmer

My toddler was found playing around with one of my DE razors a couple of months ago and the mother was extremely upset.
I tried to pour oil on troubled waters explaining the razor was unloaded and all. But the look on her face made it clear I was in deep, deep trouble. So nowadays I keep all razor related sharp objects in my gun cabinet, including SRs DEs blades and folders.

It is a dry storage gun cabinet and the low humidity atmosphere is good for the more high end SRs I think :).

Hi Scuddy, thanks for the reply, luckily enough my kids are all up and out of the house so that's not an issue for me - and high end SR's won't be an issue for me either, unfortunately lol

Valvewarmer

The basic is to keep your straight razor(s) away from humidity to avoid rust, especially if they are made of carbon steel, and i think your Gong is.
Hi Estariol - I just assumed that if you're rinsing/wiping the blade every day, that would be enough, so that's good information you're providing.
Thanks

R181

Grumpy old man
I have only used straight razors and never a shavette. After use mine had their blades wiped dry as well as in-between the scales, then a few strokes on a linen strop and left open to air dry outside of the bathroom. Then put away outside of the bathroom till next use. The routine was the same for a carbon or stainless steel blades. moisture in the air/humidity is the enemy and bathrooms are full of it.

Further precautions should be taken if you live in a high humidity climate such as the use of desicccant sacks or a dry box.

Bob

Valvewarmer

Very interesting, thanks for the replys. No 1 priority seems to be keep razors out of the bathroom - what about DE razors though ? - when I was younger, in the early 70's, my Gillette DE just sat in a tumbler with my toothbrush on the bathroom shelf...

Estariol

Forum GOD!
DE razors are a different story, almost all blades are made of stainless steel, and the razors are nickel, chrome or gold plated, or made of stainless steel or brass, some even bronze or copper, which are less sensitive to corrosion than carbon steel.
Of course, there are stainless steel straight razors as well which are also less sensitive to corrosion, but it's still better for them (as well as for stainless DE razors) to be kept away from humidity.