How to describe aftershave to my teenage son

Nisse

Old geezer
I am not a believer in antiseptic if not prescribed by doctor so no after shave for me, might use just a tad cologne on wrists to impress the ladies

Steve

Witch hazel has been used for millennia as an astringent. Its medicinal properties are fully documented by Sardok of Urdik, Belamain of Assyria, and Publius Marcus. Tell your teenager only a heathen would ignore these venerable sources. And then slap him upside his head for questioning your wisdom. :giggle:

MntnMan62

Legendary Member
It depends on what aftershave you are talking about. I have a 17 year old and a couple of years ago I got him going with a vintage ball handle Tech, some TOBS Almond shaving cream, a RazoRock Bruce shave brush, a stand for the two of them, a block of alum, a lather bowl and some Thayer's lemon scented witch hazel astringent. I've tried to get him interested in aftershave splashes but he has had some sensory sensitivity issues going back to when he was 3 years old. He's been able to shake most of them but some still remain a bit. I've let him smell all of my aftershaves and he doesn't like a single one. He also doesn't like cologne. I've stopped trying to interest him in the aftershaves and even other soaps or creams. He doesn't seem to like the smell of anything other than the Almond. Which is fine by me. He's his own man and can decide what he likes and doesn't like for himself.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
From what I understand and could be wrong, aftershave has healing properties (beyond alcohol) and cologne is just for fragrance. Both have alcohol so provide associated post shave benefits.

Nisse

Old geezer
I believe aftershave is smelly, cologne smellier and perfume the smelliest, so for applying splash on style choose the after shave

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I believe aftershave is smelly, cologne smellier and perfume the smelliest, so for applying splash on style choose the after shave
That's how I understand it ...

Back to the OP, there are a number of products that call themselves "aftershave Colognes" - Jovan Musk and the Clubman range come to mind. The point of aftershave to my mind is to give a good blast of cleansing properties (the alcohol), tighten the face with astingent properties and (more so nowadays) sooth, even feed the skin. You'll see oils appearing in the list of brands like Brut, even. Fragrance is added to smell nice.

Being a lad from the north, many men would not wear "perfume" (in fact, many would not wear any form of jewellry, even wedding rings) but a splash of aftershave was okay for a younger fellow, particularly after a shave before going out on the pull.