How many shaves per blade?

Siobhan

Hi, I’m new to the game so I have a ton of questions. Yesterday I did my first shave with a DE. My question is do I throw the blade away after one use or is there a recommended number of times a blade can be used?

p.b

Forum GOD!
I use a blade 2 or 3 times on my beard, which are much thicker hairs than those in other places. If you’re only shaving your legs then a blade should last far longer.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I use a DE blade for a week, ie 6/7 shaves. My wife uses the same Venus disposable until it goes rusty and I throw it away.

Bottom line is that this is a personal decision, don't over think it, when it feels like the blade's getting dull replace it. The only right way is the right way for you, and it's going to depend on your skin and hair.

Siobhan

I use a DE blade for a week, ie 6/7 shaves. My wife uses the same Venus disposable until it goes rusty and I throw it away.

Bottom line is that this is a personal decision, don't over think it, when it feels like the blade's getting dull replace it. The only right way is the right way for you, and it's going to depend on your skin and hair.
Thanks! I definitely won’t leave it until it gets rusty lol

Steinmetzify

Legendary Member
Until it starts tugging. I’ve gone 10 shaves on same blade, 10th wasn’t pleasant.

Usually stick to around 3, if I can keep track. I have 5-6 DE’s but mostly only use 1, easier to remember.

Once you get the hang of this, you’ll notice from the first stroke whether or not you need to chuck the blade that’s in your razor.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Personal choice. Three to five uses should suit most blades. After that it depends how much dullness you can tolerate. Since blades are cheap most of us like them sharp.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Until the cutting edge noticeably drops off or until the shaves don’t seem as comfortable as the first few did. I’ve had the same Personna in since Boxing Day and I’m only now thinking about changing it.