Horse hair Franken shaving brush

R181

Grumpy old man
Stumbled across this brush hiding in the back of the pack. I had put it together a few years ago for S&Gs. The knot is a Vie Long horse hair and the handle is a Wilkinsons. The handle I filled with lead and epoxy to give it some heft. I always liked the shape of the Wilkinsons handle which to me is simple and comfortable.

I remembered not liking the horse hair knot when I first tried it so I had put it away. I decided to try it today and was very surprised that it was not too shabby at all. I will have to use for a week in the future to see if that improved impression holds.

That has me wondering why horse hair brushes don't seem to have much of a following on shave forums. Anyone else use a horse hair shave brush on a regular basis?

Bob

Horse-Hair-Brush.jpg

TobyC

Patriot
I have a horse and like it, but modern ones are too soft and moppy. They used to tell you the percentage of mane and tail hair, the tail is stiffer hair, but they don't anymore. They are currently advertised as soft, or extra soft, etc, and you can't get larger knots anymore.

J349

Legendary Member
I’ve tried one Vie-Long and one Semogue, in both the hair got all tangled in the middle of the knot! I’ve put them aside...

TobyC

Patriot
The two outside ones are horse, I still have the one on the right, these were given to me. The knots were from VIG but they don't have them anymore.
100_2169.JPG

R181

Grumpy old man
I would not say the one I have is particularly floppy but it does take a light hand when doing circular strokes face lathering or it can be a bit prickly feeling. Tried it again today with a hard soap puck this time. It easily loaded enough proto lather in the knot to do me 4 passes without going back to the puck for more soap. Pretty serviceable brush all things considered and a nice change of pace from the others. Big change from my initial impression years ago of hating them.

Bob