Horse hair brushes

Grarea

Forum Plod
Looks like the Zenith extra soft might be 'the one'.
I do like the handle.
But I was really hoping to find one I could put in one of Rowlers' dad's handles.
If it wasn't for that in the cupboard, I would have ordered one already, but I think i will go for it.

Ah well, can't have everything can we?
Unless they popout of their handle easily i suppose.....
Hmmmmm

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
Each time I use my Zenith (extra soft) horse hair, I appreciate and enjoy it a little more. Sometimes the modern super-stuffed high density knots can be nice, but I’ve been astounded by the great lathers that the fairly sparse horse hair brush creates. Equally amazing is the fact that the knot doesn’t take all that lather and hide it away somewhere, but freely releases it without any extra intervention.
Since my last post here, I acquired a Zenith extra soft with the copper handle. It has quickly become a favorite. To me the hair is finer and more densly packed than my Vie Long brushes. Dense to the point I'm no longer even careful about a tangle. I like it better than a couple of my badgers and better than every boar I've owned including Zenith's, which to me is the best boar I own.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I was going to start a new thread on the Zenith Extra soft but this seemed a good place to go.

Never had a horse hair brush and do not know too much about them so I pulled the trigger on this one ( no pics yet ) with the short olive handle. Arrived today. First impressions were nice handle and a black knot that feels quite stiff. I shaved yesterday but wtf let's at least get some soap into this baby and see what happens.

The brush smelt of nothing to speak of on arrival and the hair looked black.. After a whiz around a tub of Stirling followed by a non intended face lather and a one pass job I actually found this brush different to anything else I have experienced thus far. It almost reminded me of the different face feel that Monsavon gives. It was super smooth, not soft but smooth ( difficult to describe ). It suggested scritchy before use and that was not the case. I loved it. Post use it has dried quick but I DO now have the funk.. Not nasty but obvious animal. The 'black' is actually nowhere near black on closer examination and after use. It is a myriad of burnished dark colours and even has the odd grey in there too. Did lose one hair down the sink .

Now, does anybody know whether this hair ( this brush ) comes from the arse or the mane? Not that I am too bothered.

Bottom line - early days but 1st impressions are for me favourable.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I believe most knots are a combination of tail and mane hair. The proportion of each will affect the stiffness of the knot: tail hair is coarser than mane hair. The one and only horse knot I owned was 50/50.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I was going to start a new thread on the Zenith Extra soft but this seemed a good place to go.

Never had a horse hair brush and do not know too much about them so I pulled the trigger on this one ( no pics yet ) with the short olive handle. Arrived today. First impressions were nice handle and a black knot that feels quite stiff. I shaved yesterday but wtf let's at least get some soap into this baby and see what happens.

The brush smelt of nothing to speak of on arrival and the hair looked black.. After a whiz around a tub of Stirling followed by a non intended face lather and a one pass job I actually found this brush different to anything else I have experienced thus far. It almost reminded me of the different face feel that Monsavon gives. It was super smooth, not soft but smooth ( difficult to describe ). It suggested scritchy before use and that was not the case. I loved it. Post use it has dried quick but I DO now have the funk.. Not nasty but obvious animal. The 'black' is actually nowhere near black on closer examination and after use. It is a myriad of burnished dark colours and even has the odd grey in there too. Did lose one hair down the sink .

Now, does anybody know whether this hair ( this brush ) comes from the arse or the mane? Not that I am too bothered.

Bottom line - early days but 1st impressions are for me favourable.
:)
you beat me to it.

I went with the long handle and I really like it.
When I first got it, it kind of felt like it had that annoying high middle thing.
(I was going to think about trimming it)
But I don't need to, I didn't notice anything when using it.
I also thought it might feel a bit prickly.
I guess there is a very slight bit of prickle occasionally, but you have to concentrate to notice it.
Plus my other horsey softened somewhat anyway.

I face lather.
Amazing.
I was wondering how to explain it as well.
I agree. It is somehow smooth. Silky smooth.
It seemed to create a great lather really quick too.
But yes.... smooooth........

I also didn't notice the smell.
I went and buried my nose in again and am getting something.
But in my head it just sort of smells like brush.
Maybe horse hair paintbrushes.

I am very pleased with it for sure.

p.b

Forum GOD!
I'm pretty sure the finer hair is from the mane.

With the wooden handle is the eco choice without, in my opinion, sacrificing any performance. My extra-soft is the best shaving thing I've bought this year.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yup, I am over the moon with it.
Well done for checking it out @p.b
Just what i was after.
I reckon this covers all the angles.
No murderdeathkill, no plastic, wooden handle, works fantastic.
Tick tick tick.

Do you get the whole smoooooooth thing too?
Is that to do with 'flow through' or what?

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
I too find mine super smooth. I have a couple badgers that are much more scritchy or scrubby that yet have less back bone than the Zenith horse. I dare say if people started with a Zenith extra soft rather than some other horse brushes, horse in general might well have a better reputation.