Hone of the day.

Mastropiero

Über Member
So, I did a little experiment with the Heljestrad 4r I honed a few days ago. After finishing on the Escher, I shaved with it, two days beard, exactly like the previous shave. I cannot for the life of me figure out the differences between the 5 stages of HHT, but that edge would cut the hairs with no effort whatsoever.

The shave was very good, can't argue with the result, but the edge seemed aggressive and I was left with lots of bleeding pores, something it hadn't happened in a long time. I didn't even go for gold and redo the few rebel spots I always need to work on. Skin felt it wouldn't tolerate further abuse. However, the end result was great.

So I decided to hone it again, this time with this old Coticule. My first time honing on a Coticule actually. Went back to the Shapton Seven 8k and figured I'd do exactly the same routine. After the Shappie, I raised very light slurry on the Coti, did my usual strokes until I felt good about it, then did the same on water.

Stropped it, tried HHT, the razor wouldn't cut for its life. Looked at the bevel with a loupe, so many rogue stria it looked like it came out on the losing end of a fight with an angry stray cat looking to mate.

So I did it all over again, after receiving some advice about Cotis. Back at the 8k, got a lovely mirror bevel. On to the Coti with water only. Did my thing, again, many scratches. Continued working on it, hardly any pressure. When I felt good about it, stropped on Russian leather and the on Shell Cordovan. Tried HHT and the difference was huge. I mean, the blade would cut effortlessly, without even a ping. So much so I decided to film it, the video is terrible but I hope you can see it.

HHT

Shaved with it, massive difference in feeling, much smoother edge all around. Equally effective though. However.... Same amount of bleeding pores I cannot understand it. I always get one or two, it doesn't bother me, but when you get a dozen or more it means something's off. Maybe it's this particular razor?

But this edge did allow me do go and do touch-ups pretty much everywhere, I actually did a nearly complete second ATG pass. After comfort lather, I rinsed with cold water, the skin felt great and the result was excellent.

Lots to learn about the Coticule but I am happy I managed such a nice edge on my second try with it.
DSC_2927.JPG

Steve56

Legendary Member
I feel your pain sir @Mastropiero - Cotis and JNats are rather stone dependent with respect to the edge that they make and how you optimize them, but keep at it and you’ll get the best out of them. There are lots of things to try with coticules, oil, glycerin, tape for final strokes, final honing under running water, etc. Not every one will finish a razor well in spite of what some will tell you.

To me, there’s only one HHT, silent in or out. Anything else isn’t what you want. That’s not to say that the edge won’t be aggressive, but it will be sharp. Your experience with the red dots is what I’m currently getting with my Pierre La Lune, though the edge is otherwise wonderful. And a La Lune edge will bite if you’re not careful. I’m plugging away at seeing if the edge can be tamed.

It’s a cloudy showery day here, so I got out my old Wosty frameback and one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard kiita/iro koppas and did some honing. It’s from my trip to Sonoma last year. This one is soft and fine, and benefits from a few clear water strokes hand held. It performed just like it did in Sonoma when I tested it, silent HHT in or out. The tomo is hard so the slurry was almost all base stone.

4D46A501-4DD1-4D90-BE28-E43BBF094E01.jpeg

Steve56

Legendary Member
Showers and T-storms are headed this way and it’s thundering, so why stop honing? This odd JWest is a ‘Nelson’ razor, ‘For Barber’s Use’, and is made of ‘Nelson Steel’ which AFAIK doesn’t exist. One hint is that it had a Schöeller-Bleckman sticker on it so it’s probably Fenix Steel, or Böhler steel. It’s NOS and I got it for peanuts because it has a tiny crack way up on the end of the heel, what would be called the choil if it were a knife. I figured I could use it as a travel or test razor, and it’s quite good. You’d have to wear it down to 4/8 or less to get to the crack so the crack is really irrelevant except for reducing value. I thought this razor was probably an anomaly, but apparently it isn’t. The eBay seller April7th1987 or whatever had the same razor, with the same crack in the same place except his was worse. I didn’t go for the pair!

The hone is another Alex Gilmore hoard kiita from last year’s visit, this one is pure kiita yellow - I call it the butterstick kiita for obvious reasons. There’s no goma, no nashiji, no cracks, no lines, no nothing, just pure yellow except for a little yake at the skin end. The tomo was the same hard tomo as before, and I finished on thin slurry then clear water strokes at the faucet.

Those of you that have the hoard stones, one thing that I’ve noticed is that under some kinds of light they look rather dull, but say in soft afternoon light they’re almost fluorescent, they’ll burn your eye out kid! (Apologies to Ralphie - A Christmas Sory). I’ve learned when to photograph them.

Maybe I’ll do a comparison tomorrow.

A119FD83-3EC2-4201-A802-22B93EE2F926.jpeg

Mastropiero

Über Member
I feel your pain sir @Mastropiero - Cotis and JNats are rather stone dependent with respect to the edge that they make and how you optimize them, but keep at it and you’ll get the best out of them. There are lots of things to try with coticules, oil, glycerin, tape for final strokes, final honing under running water, etc. Not every one will finish a razor well in spite of what some will tell you.

To me, there’s only one HHT, silent in or out. Anything else isn’t what you want. That’s not to say that the edge won’t be aggressive, but it will be sharp. Your experience with the red dots is what I’m currently getting with my Pierre La Lune, though the edge is otherwise wonderful. And a La Lune edge will bite if you’re not careful. I’m plugging away at seeing if the edge can be tamed.

It’s a cloudy showery day here, so I got out my old Wosty frameback and one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard kiita/iro koppas and did some honing. It’s from my trip to Sonoma last year. This one is soft and fine, and benefits from a few clear water strokes hand held. It performed just like it did in Sonoma when I tested it, silent HHT in or out. The tomo is hard so the slurry was almost all base stone.

View attachment 96546
Well, I followed some good advice from a fellow forumer and went at it again with the Coti, on the same razor. This time, after going back on the 8k, I finished on the Coti with a bit of dish soap. Stropped on linen, Russian leather ans shell cordovan, and the edge was much nicer. Same beard, same soap, I didn't mess around with different variables. It was a very enjoyable shave.

I am a bit afraid of this little rabbit hole, to be honest....

UKRob

Forum GOD!
A recently acquired Kropp razor shaved OK off my Jnat but I decided to see what it was like off my Gokumyu. Using Kapton tape I took it through 5 and 10h Naniwa stones first and it felt fine to my thumb pad test But I did notice that the bevel was quite wide even though there’s no great hone wear on the spine. The shave was awful, first pass not bad but a rapid deterioration in sharpness. So, start again with 1 layer of 3m tape under the Kapton - but again it wasn’t there for a complete shave so I switched razors for the second pass. Back to the hones this time starting at 3k and with 2 layers of 3m under Kapton. What happened was the back of the bevel was pretty much maintained but I lost a lot of metal from the front - so I’m assuming the angle was too acute originally. It now shaves pretty well but it’s left me wondering because every Krupp I’ve ever had had a tiny even bevel. This razor is laser etched so I’m wondering if it is a much later vintage that’s just not as good.

Steve56

Legendary Member
Both a new stone and a new razor arrived today. We’ve all heard of eBay horror stories, but sometimes you win. I’ve always wanted a nice Johnathan Crookes, but never ran across one, at least before someone else did. There was one on eBay with collared pins and apparent corrosion, along with a small heel chip. I used the heel chip to bargain with the seller, and got it at a price that was still pretty high for a bone scaled, rusty razor.

Except that what it looked like isn’t what it is. Vendors images first. The ‘bone’ scales are wafer thin ivory with a lead wedge despite the collar pins, and 99+% of the the corrosion was some kind of ‘substance’ that cleaned off. I fixed the heel chip, honed it on the new stone, and have a very nice razor. It could still stand a trip to see @Doc226 - and have a proper cleaning and pin job.

160CD200-71B7-46C3-817E-281C752A4FD5.jpeg
111E3139-49EE-4012-8492-0DA14B309BD3.jpeg
66B6649A-2359-4C31-9BEF-2BCAA2F0734E.jpeg
5139244A-41B4-4400-AAE0-BC0588498DD5.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve56

Legendary Member
^
Possible that that gunk was some old-timey Vaseline-ish stuff to protect the blade? It looks in surprisingly good condition.
I think that you are right, it looked like old cosmolene, used to protect new metal objects around WW1 - WW2 era. It’s somewhat of a mystery since the razor is used and dates to around 1865, long before cosmolene was used. Someone seemingly put the coating on a used razor with the idea of putting it up and preserving it.