Home brewing.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
My wife’s, cousins, husbands dad use to make scrumpy. Boy was it rough, cloudy with lumps of apple still in it. Got rather drunk on that one night. In fact totally pi$$ed. Wasn’t a good night, felt sick on the way home with Mrs Northam driving. Thought I’d wind down window and throw up outside. BUT, going at 70 down the motorway I didn’t recon on it blowing back in. Six week old Corsa SRI !!! Back screen peppered with sick and a very annoyed SWMBO who has never ever forgot that one !!!!
I think we've all been there. I tend to like cider still, cloudy and dry so the home-brew stuff's working out well. I think for the next batch I might dial the sugar back a bit though as it's a bit potent.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I've not made cider for a while but got another batch started this weekend just gone. Thanks to a very useful spreadsheet passed to me by @Hectorsgaf, I've amended the sugar content and this batch should ferment out to about 7% ABV. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
The new batch was bottled yesterday and as my sister was up she very graciously offered to provide a second opinion if it was going to be opened for testing purposes. :D The results are good, I've not done measurements but by the totally non-scientific method of drinking two pints and seeing how I felt I think it's probably not far off the target strength. The main improvement is that the previous batches had a definite wine-note in the flavour, probably due to excessive alcohol content. It wasn't unpleasant but I was aiming for cider rather than apple wine, the new batch doesn't have that note and it's a (to me) very nice farmhouse dry cider.

It is tentatively now Cider 2.0. There's more apple juice coming on this week's shopping order.