HIRAM Commander

basileusss

Hello Luke,
i stopped reacting to this thread but ..i think that is more that a qa issue ( no ,i am not gonna apply for an exchange , i am in Europe ) but in my opinion is more than that . Not sure how good the pics are but ...
IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4468.JPG

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I am not knowledgeable on customs for different countries... But if we are sending out replacements should there be a customs charge? Did we fail to label this properly? Perhaps Gift or something would avoid you having to pay such charges?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Luke
Luke, you'd think that damage replacement items would be VAT and other fees exempt, but if a customs declaration has a value stated above our allowance, then yes, a fee will be applied.
In the UK, for example, goods have a stupid £15 (approx $18) allowance and items marked as GIFT, £39 (approx $51).
It should be satisfactory to mark the CN22 as Damage Replacement FOC and put zero in the value column. My experience is they fail to read (or conveniently opt to ignore) the description and concentrate solely on the value entered, even if it hasn't been paid.

I am not knowledgeable on customs for different countries... But if we are sending out replacements should there be a customs charge? Did we fail to label this properly? Perhaps Gift or something would avoid you having to pay such charges?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Luke
Luke
I have specified in a previous e mail to Kellilynn to mark my razors as a replacement , I can not stress strongly enough that failure to do so and any further incurring of U.K. Customs charges will lead to me refusing delivery and the return of the razors to C.C.
I have already paid nearly £100 in charges and the cost of the razors upfront several months ago now and I still do not have the use of the razors .
I am awaiting Kellilyn's email when she receives my razors as to the sorting of my outstanding issues , how they are handled will dictate my next course of action .

basileusss

is it only the Europeans that got the crap ones? I don't see any of these complaints on US forums.
I thought about is ,i'd blame China , i never had issues with 20 dollars chinese products , they spoiled us with quality stuff.
For example i am sure you can't feel bumps with the finger on a 5 dollar zamak razor head's bar - and at my age sensitivity is pretty gone.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Fri 21st Feb.
Like other Forum Members I received my Hiram Commander with a poorly made No 2 plate. I was lucky as I had a No3 plate from an Oren Razor that I already had. This fitted the Hiram perfectly , and with a Feather Proguard had 8 excellent Shaves.

My poorly made No2 plate was replaced at my request with a No3 plate, a perfect fit on the Razor.Today I fitted a Schick Proline blade to the Hiram, fitted and secured perfectly. I have just completed a smooth and very comfortable Shave, and without problems got a superbly close all round finish. Was particularly good around the jawline and neck where other Razors struggle.

IMG_0554.jpg

Last edited:

natnat

My first post on ATG. (Though I've been reading here for years)

My experience with Hiram.
My razor came with a nice finish and with a good safety bar. But with a poorly made 2 dot plate. Bent in the middle, in the inner side.
Absolutely ineffective shaving with my hard bristles.

I've sent photos back to the shop and got a 3 dot plate as a replacement.
Even this new plate is poorly made. Shorter on one side, I have to keep it halfway screwed, in order to get the blade into position.
Photos were sent back again but they never answered!
So much for customer support! Quality control is very poor: 2 out of 2 plates problematic.

I've used 3 types of Feather SE blades for 3 times.
Feather pro
Feather pro light
Feather pro guard

Same setup, each time after a good preparation.
Fine green vetiver shaving soap
Plisoft 26mm "monster" beige brush

2dot plate
thumbnail4.jpg

None of the blades gave me a good shave. After 4 passes, my face was still very scratchy.
I had also a bad time with nicks and razor burn, because of the pressure I had to apply.
I had to get my Futur and finish the job. (@3 WTG, @1 ATG)

3dot plate.

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

The same poor shave with the first two blades.
Only with the Feather pro guard, I had a medium good shave on 3passes + patchword on the chin and whiskers.
The nice thing, is that it was really trouble-free on my neck, where I usually have cuts or razor burn.
This proves, that there is a very good potential in this razor.

Given that I have a difficult time, finding a good sharp - yet comfortable DE blade (2 out of 10 usually), I feel that my choice of SE blades, good enough with Hiram, is very limited.
So, reguarding the quality control, I suggest you stay away if you're not from USA (like me), or waiting time for replacements or/and Custom charges gonna be frustrating.

Final verdict for HIRAM:
+pro
Stunning design.
Nice heavy razor.
Very mild (if you have a sensitive skin)

-cons
Low quality control
Questionable support
Very mild even with 3dot plate. We need a 4dot! :D
Limited blade choice (mainly because of the mildness)
Not recommended for thick scratchy bristles.

natnat

i ordered it with an extra no.1 plate because i was affraid that no.2 is too agressive :roflmao:.
Every man's skin and beard is obviously different!
My personal best blade - razor combo may be another one's worst!
No need to argue about that...

I could destroy any knitted blouse or sweater in no time, if I rub my 24h bristles on it. :D

basileusss

I'm with you on this , i wouldn't even include no.2 and no.1 in the "agressivity" scale , no.3 ( not received,complete silence ) should probably be the beginning of it and 4 "mild agresive" .
But it looks nice,i even started to make a stand for it , burned wood and titanium rods :D
IMG_4548.JPG

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
I'm with you on this , i wouldn't even include no.2 and no.1 in the "agressivity" scale , no.3 ( not received,complete silence ) should probably be the beginning of it and 4 "mild agresive" .
But it looks nice,i even started to make a stand for it , burned wood and titanium rods :D
The brush handle looks really familiar and very striking. Can you advise what it is?

I sent my Hirams and plates back to Classic Shaving first class (at their request) on the 24th of January , worryingly I have heard nothing at all from Kellilynn at customer services , I am thinking that is more than enough time for them to get there .

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Rearden Razors - Black SinThetic Shaving Brush - also from ClassicShaving
Morning workout , 450 grams :D
Thanks! That is arguably the nicest handle I have ever seen. Spent some time looking to see if Rearden Razors shave brushes can be found elsewhere. No luck. Maybe I'll change my mind later, but with these pervasive and continuing quality and customer service issues, Classic Shaving comes across as full-on dodgy, and it is tough to justify purchasing anything from them at this time.

p.b

Forum GOD!
...but with these pervasive and continuing quality and customer service issues, Classic Shaving comes across as full-on dodgy, and it is tough to justify purchasing anything from them at this time.
I've had nothing but good service from Kellilynn at Classic Shaving. Yes, it's been slow but I've had my UK->US postage refunded and new parts sent my way. The ORREN razor I used was very well made and finished, clearly Quality Control on the HIRAM falls far short of expectations but it seems the issues have all been with the ENOCH and HIRAM from the same machine shop so other items should be unaffected.