Help me choose a synthetic brush

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I've used nearly all the brushes mentioned on this thread.

Aside from the Simpson CH2 (expensive) and YaQi (risk of glue bump making brush unusable), short lofts are few and far between.

I would go for the APShaveCo 24mm Synbad on balance. Comfortable on the face and lathers just about anything. The Muhle 23mm STF would be next on my list, better quality handle, but reflected in the price.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Dr Watson

James
Muhle 23mm.

Or possibly an Edwin Jagger 23mm. It will be near identical to the Muhle just with a different handle shape and logo printed on it, usually cheaper too. Not sure where you'll be buying from but if you could purchase from The English Shaving Co (Edwin Jagger) they run a 20% off sale every January so not long to wait.

h19hjrb.jpg

(Not my photo :))

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
I'm mostly synth now, mostly large. I've got APShave brushes in 30mm cashmere, 28mm silksmoke, 28mm synbad, 28mm flat top, 30mm tuxedo, 22mm synbad and the Simpsons Chubby 2 synth, Plissoft, Whipped Dog 30mm synth, plus a Hulk 34mm.

Only one of those really meets your criteria, and that's the 22mm synbad. All I can say is it's a superb brush with no compromises, even though it's small (for me). I could live with just that brush if I had to.

mark0

Forum GOD!
I'm mostly synth now, mostly large. I've got APShave brushes in 30mm cashmere, 28mm silksmoke, 28mm synbad, 28mm flat top, 30mm tuxedo, 22mm synbad and the Simpsons Chubby 2 synth, Plissoft, Whipped Dog 30mm synth, plus a Hulk 34mm.

Only one of those really meets your criteria, and that's the 22mm synbad. All I can say is it's a superb brush with no compromises, even though it's small (for me). I could live with just that brush if I had to.
How is the silksmoke compared to synbad?
I am looking at the 24mm option, blue lagoon handle.

wintoid

Out of control
How is the silksmoke compared to synbad?
I am looking at the 24mm option, blue lagoon handle.
With the particular brushes I own, the silksmoke has much more backbone. I like backbone, but in this case I prefer the synbad

mark0

Forum GOD!
Muhle 23mm.

Or possibly an Edwin Jagger 23mm. It will be near identical to the Muhle just with a different handle shape and logo printed on it, usually cheaper too. Not sure where you'll be buying from but if you could purchase from The English Shaving Co (Edwin Jagger) they run a 20% off sale every January so not long to wait.

View attachment 40839

(Not my photo :))
Thanks for the information. Great looking brushes!

p.b

Forum GOD!

I've also tried all those brushes with the exception of the Whipped Dog and Hulk. I agree with @wintoidand think that either a 22-24mm Synbad or Cashmere from APShave are what would suit you best, personally I think the Synbad is a better knot at 22-24mm. A bit more expensive than Yaqi but the quality is so much higher and more consistent.

Grarea

Forum Plod

That was interesting timing.

I was just looking at the 28mm flat top.
I think I might rather like that.
I am thinking it gives nice even pressure on the face.

What are your thoughts on it?

wintoid

Out of control
That was interesting timing.

I was just looking at the 28mm flat top.
I think I might rather like that.
I am thinking it gives nice even pressure on the face.

What are your thoughts on it?
It's not like a badger brush, unfortunately. It's easily the floppiest brush I own, very little backbone, incredibly soft. In use, it becomes like a paint brush really. Flings lather like crazy. I think you need backbone with a flat top to get what I was searching for. It really is very soft though.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Ah, right, I see.
Cheers for that.
Yes, I agree. It would definitely need an amount of backbone I would have thought.
In its listing it states it has 'great backbone'.
I guess it is maybe a bit tall?

Did you find what you were looking for?

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
The Muhle 23mm Fibre Silvertip would be my choice, I have that brush including the Simpsons Chubby synthetic, I would choose the Muhle over the Simpsons, it's pretty much the perfect brush for me.