Headphones - Which ones do you use?

slapo

It's... alive!
I have... too many.
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio Pro
Shure SRH-1840
Beyerdynamic Custom Street (commute duty with a BT adapter)
Soundmagic Vento P55
Fostex T40RP Mk3
Cleer DU
Sony MDR-10RC (bedphones)
AKG K702 (looking to sell these)

Paid 30-70% of online retail price for all but the Custom Studio pro, having bought used, refurbished or damaged/no packaging.

Plus some in-ears...

Last edited:

Britva

Eats steel for lunch
Sennheiser Momentum, over the ear model. I’m very pleased. They work as passive headphones, as well as bluetooth with active noise reduction. The sound quality is pretty good for what they are, there are probably better options out there as well, but probably not in this price range.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
My Shure 215 have broken again. That is the third pair I have had and as much as I love the fit and sound, I refuse to drop another £100 on a pair.

Can any one recommend something that uses the same small nozzles as the Shure?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
My Shure 215 have broken again. That is the third pair I have had and as much as I love the fit and sound, I refuse to drop another £100 on a pair.

I’ve had loads of ear and headphones but nothing can beat Shure ones. The only problem I have with them as mine don’t have an inline control for the IPhone which is a slight pain.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I’ve had loads of ear and headphones but nothing can beat Shure ones. The only problem I have with them as mine don’t have an inline control for the IPhone which is a slight pain.
They last about 12 month before failing, that is the only issue. I've just bought the Massdrop EDC IEMs for $60. Let's see what they are like. I'm also tempted to try some Treblab XR800 Bluetooth ones for the gym too...:meh:

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I cannot spend more than £20 on a pair of earphones, so mine are the Xiaomi Piston (2nd generation) and the Xiaomi Mi IV Hybrid (I hope it is the correct name). The good thing is that my smartphone by the same manufacturer has presets matching those earphones and supposedly enhancing the sound. We are very far from high fidelity of course...

Last edited:

Tazzimus

Forum GOD!
I have 3 pairs, although I tend to use the one pair more than others.
I have Skullcandy wired ones, my backups if you will
Sony MSH-80 (I think) Bluetooth in ear ones
Blueido T2+ over ear Bluetooth ones.

It's the Blueido ones I use the most, even though they cost a quarter of the price of the Sony ones.
Battery lasts about two weeks (hour ish commute either way) great sound, has an SD slot if I don't want to use the phone, and even has radio built in. Not too shabby for under £30

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Ifrogz Bluetooth in ear buds - picked them up in tesco for €25 or two pairs for €35.
Great bass sound other than that Samsung in ear plug in buds that came with my note phone.
Prior to these I used Sennheiser "Sport" ear buds and Sony "MDR" in earphones

Sades SA-903's, under £20 from China, USB 7.1 and surprisingly good for gaming and watching films. The software that came with them was pants so I use the free version of Razer's Synapse.

slapo

It's... alive!

Single balanced armature in-ears generally have pretty small nozzles. I haven't had the Shure SE215, but I have Brainwavz B150 and they sound good (although that's tip sensitive, of course) and they're very comfy. Also pretty decent are the UiiSii HM7, which have a pretty large but very short nozzle. I have small ear canals and I sleep with the UiiSii HM7 + Comply TX500 in (plugged into my phone, so it could actually wake me up).
Ety Kids 5 are have a small nozzle, but the stock tips reach into the brain... so swapping them for decent foamies is a good idea, at least for me. The isolation is really good with those then and they sound decent, too (although I'd say the B150 are both more comfortable and better sounding).
You could also consider something with an oval nozzle, like the Onkyo E700M (I have a pair on the way). The E700M are semi-open, though. Also, the Zodic Audio ET2201 are pretty decent, although they seem to have vanished from Amazon just recently.
I also head good things about the Final E2000, which seem to be pretty small but I'm unsure about the nozzle size at the moment.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Single balanced armature in-ears generally have pretty small nozzles. I haven't had the Shure SE215, but I have Brainwavz B150 and they sound good (although that's tip sensitive, of course) and they're very comfy. Also pretty decent are the UiiSii HM7, which have a pretty large but very short nozzle. I have small ear canals and I sleep with the UiiSii HM7 + Comply TX500 in (plugged into my phone, so it could actually wake me up).
Ety Kids 5 are have a small nozzle, but the stock tips reach into the brain... so swapping them for decent foamies is a good idea, at least for me. The isolation is really good with those then and they sound decent, too (although I'd say the B150 are both more comfortable and better sounding).
You could also consider something with an oval nozzle, like the Onkyo E700M (I have a pair on the way). The E700M are semi-open, though. Also, the Zodic Audio ET2201 are pretty decent, although they seem to have vanished from Amazon just recently.
I also head good things about the Final E2000, which seem to be pretty small but I'm unsure about the nozzle size at the moment.
Great info, thanks @slapo :thumbsup:
The B150 (and B200) and the Final E2000 were on my shortlist. In the end I've taken a gamble on the Massdrop EDC.
I also bagged a pair of Mee Audio X7's for the gym running. I hope they fit!

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Great info, thanks @slapo :thumbsup:
The B150 (and B200) and the Final E2000 were on my shortlist. In the end I've taken a gamble on the Massdrop EDC.
I also bagged a pair of Mee Audio X7's for the gym running. I hope they fit!
Happy to help. :)

Is there going to be a review on the EDC? ;-)

I have recently acquired the Flare Audio Flares Pro as they're on sale now. I had been reading people being very positive about them and comparing them to much more expensive stuff. So far, I'm underwhelmed, but that's likely because I've tried only two pairs of tips and the Bluetooth module could be a better. It's not bad, but about the same quality as any £15-£20 Bluetooth receiver you can find on Amazon. The fit on them is interesting, though. They shouldn't feel comfy, as the nozzle isn't exactly slim, but it's not bad either and with the 'audiophile' tips, it's actually pretty nice for a couple of hours.
I admit I might have been spoiled by my recent chi-fi acquisitions, though. The ones I got are pretty good for their prices. :)