Headphones - Which ones do you use?

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I so much prefer sound to be ambient and in the room that I avoid headphones as much as possible. I only use headphones when I use Skype so there's no feedback problems, but again with Skype I much prefer the sound to go through my audio system. I find the whole process of wearing headphones unnatural and I always have. I'm 100% an ambient person.

slapo

It's... alive!
I so much prefer sound to be ambient and in the room that I avoid headphones as much as possible. I only use headphones when I use Skype so there's no feedback problems, but again with Skype I much prefer the sound to go through my audio system. I find the whole process of wearing headphones unnatural and I always have. I'm 100% an ambient person.
Have you tried any open back headphones?
There are some which make it seem as if you weren't wearing anything.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I also do not use headphones unless I'm traveling. I'll use them while commuting on the train. Usually using in ear buds, Future Sonics FS1, for that. And when I'm on the plane heading somewhere, I'm using my over the ear MDR 7506's. While at home I much prefer the sound produced by either of my 3 systems. Paradigm bookshelf speakers paired with a large Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer (15") or Silverline Audio Minuets paired with a Polk PSW10 or Klipsch Reference R-820F towers paired with their R-120SW. Any of those will outdo my headphones. Now, if someone is sleeping and I really want to crank the tunes, I'll put the headphones on but that is not very often. Come to think of it I'm going to head downstairs and spin some vinyl on my recently acquired Rega Planar 1 turntable. Was watching Big Little Lies (my wife encouraged me to watch it) and this little kid on the show who is always listening to music on her phone happened to be listening to King Kong by Zappa and the Mothers. I'm going to put that on now. I've been listening to a lot of older rock lately.

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I also do not use headphones unless I'm traveling. I'll use them while commuting not he train. Usually using in ear buds for that. And when I'm on the plane heading somewhere, I'm using my over the ear MDR 7506's. While at home I much prefer the sound produced by either of my 3 systems. Paradigm bookshelf speakers paired with a large Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer (15") or Silverline Audio Minuets paired with a Polk PSW10 or Klipsch Reference R-820F towers paired with their R-120SW. Any of those will outdo my headphones. Now, if someone is sleeping and I really want to crank the tunes, I'll put the headphones on but that is not very often. Come to think of it I'm going to head downstairs and spin some vinyl on my recently acquired Rega Planar 1 turntable. Was watching Big Little Lies (my wife encouraged me to watch it) and this little kid on the show who is always listening to music on her phone happened to be listening to King Kong by Zappa and the Mothers. I'm going to put that on now. I've been listening to a lot of older rock lately.
Same here only when travelling. Then it’s a pair of Beats. I’ll often sit at home while Mrs and Daughter watch some crap on the T.V. Then I’ll use my B&O on ear headphones.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve just picked up a pair of Skullcandy Grind wireless headphones for £26 from Amazon Warehouse. After trying many pairs of earbuds I’ve come to the conclusion that I do not like them and I hate the rubbery ones that work like earplugs. The Grinds are on-ear and have very little noise isolation which I like as I often have my music at fairly low volume and like to hear my surroundings, especially at work.