Has the BST had it?

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
I think in General some of it is Market Conditions and Choice , there are just so many great products. I think the vintage market overheated somewhat and is now coming back towards true value. I think quality will ultimately sell , it just seems to be taking longer than usual.

The other factors are bigger , you can see certainly in the UK people are slowing spending in general because of I guess uncertain times.

R181

Grumpy old man
I just think it is that traditional wet shaving is a very niche market that is now saturated with an over supply product. Add to that people may be pulling their horns in as far as spending on non essential items go. Things are not lookin good globally and a large number of consumers are carrying far too high a debt load to service if things go south.

Bob

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
TBH my interest in new shiny dropped off sharply after I bought the PILS. I like efficiency enough to get the job done, with minimal blade feel, rigid blade clamping and covered end tabs. That restricts choice, and having found two razors that really suit me the bar's set very high for anything else.

The current aggressive razor zeitgeist has also helped me rein in the spending.

p.b

Forum GOD!
1566943059815.png

Personally I don't think selling a £73 razor for £50, a €100 brush for £60 and a £185 razor for £125 is giving them away for nowt. I think it's a fair price for items that I've owned and enjoyed for some time and I'm fine with the cost of that. Didn't you previous say that throwing away soaps was the price of this hobby for you and you were OK with that?

Maybe I've been fortunate but I've never had issues with buyers trying to stitch me up, so that's not been a problem.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
I don't think Wayne was saying your recent sales record was 'giving stuff away for nowt' but a general comment that the PIFs and hugely reduced items will always find a buyer or at least a home. Whereas the reasonably priced second hand goods may languish on the BST indefinitely.
But I'll let Wayne speak for himself. That was my interpretation.

We may need to rethink this then... Thoughts Gents?
I primarily want to buy. There are quite a few members here that are from Europe and it gives me a chance to buy those collector items that may only be available in Europe.

I am here because I'm a straight razor collector. I'm a member on other forums, but I would LOVE to see what some of my European shaving brethren are willing to let go of. The vast majority of the shaving gear I have I'm keeping, but I have some time before I get to 100 posts. I mostly want to buy. It would be greatly appreciated if I could buy. Sell? I don't mind the wait nearly as much.

Maybe revise it to 50 posts? I still think having a post count before you can use BST is very important though.
This right here. 50 posts to view and buy, 100 or more to sell. That's my honest opinion. Moderators, please do not consider this a complaint. I'm just sharing my opinion.

Agreed.

Keep the quota for opening a new BST thread, but allow all members to freely browse the BST section and contact members (after reaching the PM quota of course). Perhaps also allow new members opening a WTB thread only.

I think it's important to keep in mind that many new members here are veterans somewhere else and just don't have the time to be fully active on all forums.
I'm a member on other forums. Some might also want to consider a "quality post" as a post. I'm quoting several posts in a single post, but I'm a gentleman and not just here for "the post count". The rules are the rules as they say. I've been a member on other forums. I like this forum. Everyone seems to be gentlemanly. Been straight shaving for over 10 years now.

Ah, remember the days when someone had, say a Wholly kaw soap or a rare Reef point soap for sale or trade and it would be pounced upon! Or someone was selling a great priced Muhle razor and it was all hands onboard!
Sadly, I think those days are gone. Most people now just want the next latest fad. Be it a modern twist on an old style razor with a brass and bronze look.
When I first started on this forum three years ago, I was introduced to a lot of big named traditional American/British soap makers, as well as a few British/European artisan soap makers such as "P&B, LP, OSP, TSF and Wickham's and then all the old classic makers Tobs etc and a slightly larger list of American artisan. But now there are too many in America! And each company has a their own version/homage to Apd, Creed, Ysl, Tom Ford or bloody Aventus!
I have had a Wholly Kaw and Reef point for trade, for well over a month and no offers of a trade, I had been thinking of adding a Meissner-tremonia "Himalayan Heights" soap and balm set to see if that would help entice members to trade but that too would probably just sit ideally! It is just the times we live in and unlike Gandalf, this too will pass.
Those days might be gone. But it could also be everyone too busy in the summer. If the price is right on the Wholly Kaw and the shipping was reasonable, I'd probably have bought it already.

You have only posted 5 times so you haven't made "Full Member" yet. Once you get to full membership (25 posts) you should be able to view the BST.
I take it the rules changed? If so, thank you! Off to the rules section.........

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
The days of "buy it - try it - sell it" are over for now on most BST's. The discount on Blackbirds, Paladins, Timeless, Shavemacs is 35-40%. There are a few limited releases still at 90% of new - but very few. Really limited releases (Wolfman, Varlet, Wilborg) are unique.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I don't think Wayne was saying your recent sales record was 'giving stuff away for nowt' but a general comment that the PIFs and hugely reduced items will always find a buyer or at least a home. Whereas the reasonably priced second hand goods may languish on the BST indefinitely.
But I'll let Wayne speak for himself. That was my interpretation.
Thank you for that @Cheesepiece. That is exactly what I meant. With regards to throwing away soaps I have indeed thrown them away and will continue to do so if they do not sell for what I consider a decent SH price. I honestly would rather throw away a soap than sell it for next to nothing. But each to their own as always.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Thank you for that @Cheesepiece. That is exactly what I meant. With regards to throwing away soaps I have indeed thrown them away and will continue to do so if they do not sell for what I consider a decent SH price. I honestly would rather throw away a soap than sell it for next to nothing. But each to their own as always.
The way it’s going I way we’ll be throwing some brushes away

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The way it’s going I way we’ll be throwing some brushes away
This reminds me of Only Fools & Horses when Rodney wants to be Del's financial advisor and his first bit of advise; throw the suitcases in the river after having paid more for them :)

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Aside from the concept of instant depreciation on formerly new items, one thing BST sellers need to be mindful of is whatever reason they are moving on an item for, will also potentially apply to prospective buyers.