Got handle. Looking for Cashmere knot

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3542.jpg
handle.png

Got two knots from Paul and the brown and white will be tested in this "handle" left over from an Omega brush and if I like the feel then make a handle in bubinga trying to match color of knot. This knot is 24 mm but bigger and looking chunky and square compared to the 24 mm blond Cashmere.

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3544.jpg

Ready for testing, loft 54 mm on both set with blu tack. I think blond handle still has got a bit of a choke hold on Cashmere knot but will shave before doing anything about it.

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
boing.jpg

Synts and backbone
My gripe with synt brushes is backbone. I create lather in bowl and then paint and scrub applying lather to face. With synt brushes I find there is no natural transition from backbone to splay instead I get backbone - BOING! - splay with springy pokey fibres. Solution is paint no scrub and watch out for flying lather. Now with my new brown and white synt brush it is a different story, set at 54 mm = no backbone at all so instant splay. At 54 mm my blond Cashmere on the othe hand still has got a bit of BOING! going on so will test at 56 mm to see if that helps or maybe BOING! is part of the fibres typical characteristics.

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
View attachment 61282
Synts and backbone
My gripe with synt brushes is backbone. I create lather in bowl and then paint and scrub applying lather to face. With synt brushes I find there is no natural transition from backbone to splay instead I get backbone - BOING! - splay with springy pokey fibres. Solution is paint no scrub and watch out for flying lather. Now with my new brown and white synt brush it is a different story, set at 54 mm = no backbone at all so instant splay. At 54 mm my blond Cashmere on the othe hand still has got a bit of BOING! going on so will test at 56 mm to see if that helps or maybe BOING! is part of the fibres typical characteristics.

BOING and lather spatter along with no scritch or scrub is all synthetics are good for!

These are the best I've found, they almost feel and perform like a real shaving brush.

Closer to a thick firm Badger than a boar.

This is mine.

100_2352_25.jpg

TobyC

Patriot
This is what made me try them.

"These knots are denser than our regular synthetic knots."

Super soft is what I try to avoid.

Nisse

Old geezer
Synt is shaving with a makeup brush, soft like a kiss if handled with a slow hand, this will be my approach in the future accepting synt as synt not looking for and missing badger or boar feel :)

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Synt is shaving with a makeup brush, soft like a kiss if handled with a slow hand, this will be my approach in the future accepting synt as synt not looking for and missing badger or boar feel :)
Yes, accepting synthetics for what they are and not expecting them to behave like a boar or badger knot brush is the best course of action. Just learn how to get the best out of them as you do when learning how to use a boar or badger knot brush.

Bob

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3551.jpg

Cashmere knot at 56 mm is a keeper soft but delivers lather with a bit of a brush feel, not bad looking either

Brown and white knot at 54 is a keeper as a novelty supersoft cloud of lather, butt ugly color scheme please make an all black synt knot

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
That was just for comparison, and just like badger or boar they are not all the same. I just prefer a firm brush.

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3552.jpg

not really a handle just a piece of wood with a hole in to test Cashmere set lower with a wider hole, so shave tomorrow will feature loft 52 mm instead of 56 mm and width leaving handle 27,5 mm compared to 25,7 mm

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
Testing Cashmere at 52/27,5 in a piece of wood it acted a bit like a boar brush, plenty of backbone when dry but after I soaked it under tap and spent time with it whipping lather in bowl it turned into a softie, splaying nicely when applying lather with a combination of painting and scrubbing motion, Cashmere has got less brush feel than boar but enough to be a pleasure to use, I might very well have to carve a proper handle from this piece of juniper wood.

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
8D8FC1C6-AD48-4219-9272-99CA1C5269E5.jpeg

Mine is set at 26.5 / 53

It a good enough travel brush for face lathering with a soap stick but not one I'd desire to use at home with a tub. I'm loath to pull it out and try a APShaveCo 2BED as I suspect it'll be no better

p.b

Forum GOD!
I couldn't stand the Brown/White knot - to me it felt use like using a make-up brush and totally without character.