Gillette Adjustable Black Beauty Long Handle DE Razor First Use & Thoughts

saj1985

Über Member
hey people so I just used my much anticipated Gillette Adjustable Black Beauty Long Handle 109 DE Razor with my favourite blade gillette nacet

so started off testing the waters and first few strokes with number one then number 3, 5 and straight to 9 and settled down on number 9,
number 9 just took everything off smoothly with ease, bare in mind im a head shaver with thick and coarse hair,
any straight onto number 7 and then to finish it off with the number 5

i've tried a fair few adjustable and this is the first adjustable that i can actually say i really enoyed it

easy going against the grain, the handle has a really nice grip plus the added bonus of a nice long hande makes the back of the head area a lot easier

i always hear of people recommending the gillette slims and fatboys but why doesnt the black beauty get as much love?

now i havent used a fatboy yet so cant compare but really impressed with the black beauty and i actually prefer it over my gillette slim adjustable tbh

what are your thoughts on this black beauty razor? any fans?

Blackie

Guru
Yes, I'm a fan.
Mine is a Q1 serial and came to me after sitting in a drawer for 20+ years.
Needless to say, it was in lovely condition.
Yes, great wee shaver. I have a neck injury and find the long handle helps me get under the jawline easier (I can't tilt my head back too far and short handles don't work well for me).
Like you, I also run on '9' and the Black Beauty performs well.
I've had a Fatboy Executive, and a Slim...sold both, kept the Black Beauty.
The plastic handle probably makes people think it's not a quality item, but Gillette got it right (again).
Lovely razor, and still available for not much money.

saj1985

Über Member
Yes, I'm a fan.
Mine is a Q1 serial and came to me after sitting in a drawer for 20+ years.
Needless to say, it was in lovely condition.
Yes, great wee shaver. I have a neck injury and find the long handle helps me get under the jawline easier (I can't tilt my head back too far and short handles don't work well for me).
Like you, I also run on '9' and the Black Beauty performs well.
I've had a Fatboy Executive, and a Slim...sold both, kept the Black Beauty.
The plastic handle probably makes people think it's not a quality item, but Gillette got it right (again).
Lovely razor, and still available for not much money.
any idea how i can tell which black beauty it is?

chazt

Guru
I love the look of the Super Adjustables. Presently I have a long handle SA109 and use it once in a while. I find it works better with a sharper blade, regardless of the setting. In the past I’ve had two of the short handled versions. To be honest, the head geometry of the TTO razors doesn’t suit me. I wish I got on better with them as they are very attractive shave tools.

Enjoy your shaves :)