GEM Carbon blades

R181

Grumpy old man
I've seen others recommend TedPella.com. They have GEM carbon steel SE blades listed for $19.00 for a box of 200 blades. Product No. 121-1.

121-1
GEM® Carbon Steel Blades, box/200​
Just make sure those are for Razors and not box cutters.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
Have you tried palm-stropping/corking the blades? They often start off a bit rough and smooth out after a couple shaves. Stropping helps simulate that. I'm just curious because the PTFE blades are the only ones I recommend to my customers because I find them so superior.
I have tried carbon blades and found them to rough and rust buckets compared to The Personna GEM PTFE coated stainless steel blades. Can't recall a rough shave from them and are the only blades I'll use in GEM razors.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
Put it all together.

R181

Grumpy old man
They are about $7.00 cheaperper 100 at Connaught Shaving and they are based in the UK. I'd imagine the cost of shipping within the UK is far less than from the US never mind possibly having to pay import duties on top of all that.

Bob

Have you tried palm-stropping/corking the blades? They often start off a bit rough and smooth out after a couple shaves. Stropping helps simulate that. I'm just curious because the PTFE blades are the only ones I recommend to my customers because I find them so superior.
I read somewhere before you saying g there was only 1 blade you see as worth using but didn't mention which it was. Now I know :D

I've not tried palm stropping or corking. How many times per side (stropping) would you recommend?

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I read somewhere before you saying g there was only 1 blade you see as worth using but didn't mention which it was. Now I know :D

I've not tried palm stropping or corking. How many times per side (stropping) would you recommend?
I don't generally strop very often, but I've seen that around 5 per side is a good place to start. When I've done it I don't really count and just do a handful on each side and that seems to work just fine. Note that you're probably reducing the overall number of shaves you can get out of that blade, but people often get 15-20+ shaves per blade so losing a few isn't the worst thing.

I don't generally strop very often, but I've seen that around 5 per side is a good place to start. When I've done it I don't really count and just do a handful on each side and that seems to work just fine. Note that you're probably reducing the overall number of shaves you can get out of that blade, but people often get 15-20+ shaves per blade so losing a few isn't the worst thing.
Thank you for your advice, Shane. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm using a GEM PTFE blade :thumbsup: