Gem blade modification for Oneblade razor

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
We sell these in the Pharmacy, not sure if they would fit de-spined:

I did try it in my Rocnel once but was too wide.
They would fit fine if despined (and maybe clipped).
So would a shard of glass or a piece of cardboard of the same dimensions. :rolleyes:
So please, Gentlemen, get some GEM blades (and Feather FHS blades if its for a OneBlade) from Connaught.
Pharmacies sell those blades to people using them to cut cocaine and to self harmers. :eek:

kypros

Forum GOD!
They would fit fine if despined (and maybe clipped).
So would a shard of glass or a piece of cardboard of the same dimensions. :rolleyes:
So please, Gentlemen, get some GEM blades (and Feather FHS blades if its for a OneBlade) from Connaught.
Pharmacies sell those blades to people using them to cut cocaine and to self harmers. :eek:
So there is a second use for the Gem and Feather, cutting coke.:D

kypros

Forum GOD!
Dear Gents,
today's experiment was checking the Gem against the Feather in the OB. I used both my OB razors for the experiment in order not to waste time alternating blades. Both blades were in their second use. The Gem shaved the left side of the face, while the Feather was assigned to the right. I did two passes and corrections to get a true trouble free BBS and on each pass, I checked both sides for stubble.
Both blades cut in exactly the same way and aggressiveness, giving identical results on both sides of the face, the only difference was that the Feather felt a little smoother than the Gem.

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
I'm new to the Oneblade, having recently bought a second-hand v1. I'm really enjoying it. I despined a GEM razor to try, and yes the shave was OK, but the whole thing gives me the willies. I don't believe I'm going to hurt myself with it, but it definitely doesn't feel secure. I don't think I am prepared to nibble the blades to lock them in, it's just a step too far, and it's a shame to using such a nice razor with an unsecured blade.

The whole thing hinges (boom boom) on how many shaves you can get from a Feather I guess. I've just had my 4th shave off a Feather blade, and I think that was the cutoff point for me, so I'm going to stick to 3 shaves per blade. On that basis, it's still more expensive than DE shaving, but it's not going to break the bank.

Connaught's cheapest makes this 14p per shave for me. That's about 4 quid per month. I think I can live with that.

Ckiqela

Forum GOD!
I recently bought an One blade genesis and was wondering to use a Gem as I quite liked them in the Blackland Sabre.
Can I have some feedback on the ones who used the feather and the Gem?

Len

Forum GOD!
I recently bought an One blade genesis and was wondering to use a Gem as I quite liked them in the Blackland Sabre.
Can I have some feedback on the ones who used the feather and the Gem?
If you liked the GEM in the Sabre, I'm sure you'll like it in the OneBlade. Many people swear by the GEM as their favorite blade. Indeed, the GEM is the go to blade for traditional width SE razors in almost all cases. It is also much cheaper than the Feather, and much more long lasting. (I get about 5-6 shaves out of a GEM vs 2-3 shaves out of a Feather.)

However, I still prefer the Feather. The GEM is a very rough blade for the first couple shaves before it smooths out. The Feather is smooth as silk right out of the wrapper. Also, the Feather is sharper, cutting through whiskers like butter, which is most likely why it doesn't last as long. Being smoother and sharper, I find the Feather gives me a closer, more comfortable shave with less effort. For me, the Feather provides a better shave in every way, and this justifies the Feather's extra cost.

In any case, the GEM should be tried, and you may end up preferring it over the Feather. Many guys do, though I suspect with most it has more to do with familiarity and cost than it does with an actual shave quality comparison with the Feather. I'd recommend clipping the GEM's to fit the OneBlade the same way the Feather does if you do try.

Ckiqela

Forum GOD!
Does anyone got a nibbling tool that they don’t use? As I would like to try the OB with GEM blades.

D

Deleted member 2076

Somehow I can't find such a thing on Amazon.de 🤔