From the New Forest

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Some of the gents here, that have been at this game for a while, may remember the New Forest line of brushes produced by Peter Hyde, from guess where, the New Forest in the U.K.
These were great little brushes, at the onset all 22 mm, offered at very advantageous prices. The knots, obviously from China, but these brushes were a tremendous value, and I give Mr. Hyde much credit for entering a venture such as this with little experience in the field.
The first brush in the series, pictured at right was called "Superior Badger..." a Two band knot the equal of most anything at that time. Next, pictured left, was called "Finest Silvertip.." and it was.
Pictured center was "High Mountain White," self explanatory.
They all worked superbly, didn't shed, and lasted, as they're still in my collection, and still used.

As time went on, there were others, and a local artisan started to turn the handles in different shapes. Larger knots became available at this time also. I had them, but gave at least one to my son, who doesn't use much care in taking care of equipment.

So, here are the three. Utilitarian, agreed...but extremely useful...

I wish they were still around...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Lovely brushes at very affordable prices. I also miss some of the older offerings such as Professor Blighty. The simpler days of tallow or glycerine.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Thanks for jogging my memory, gents.
I remember the screen name "Fido" now, and also remember the Tubby. Fido showed the big guys what could be done at less than exhorbitant prices..

I found another... This one 24mm, when he started having his handles turned in the New Forest. He also added stickers at this point. This one, in my favored Two Band..

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I used my New Forest Superior Badger today, the brush that started it all at New Forest. I was reminded what a great little performer it was (is).

In today's world of Super High Density knots, that don't work well for me at all, gel tips and other over the top qualities, it's nice to get back to basics..

In today's world of, if a little is good, more is better, and too much is just right, it's nice to return to a simpler time of sanity..

Last edited:

Steve56

Forum GOD!
I hear you Bill. I have a super stuffed brush but only one, a Maggard. It’s like a Chubby, you have to load it heavily and then throw the water to it until it releases lather. Kind of a bother really.

A few years ago on the American forums, there was a trend toward super dense, super stiff, and super short knots. People were having Shavemac D0-1 two bands set 5mm or more below the ‘configurator’ recommended lofts. Don’t ask me why I do not have a clue. It was just a fad I think.

You could scrub the paint off a battleship with a D0-1set at -5mm. I noticed that many of these brushes began showing up on BSTs about 6 months later …

halvor

a most elusive fish
Ah, NFs! Had three of those. They became collector’s items and I sold all in favour of whatever was the current brush fad at the time… (Probably Paladin). Didn’t know you had several, Bill.

Incidentally, browsed through a bunch of the more artistic SOTD pics of mine from back then when looking for the family photo above. Like this one, featuring the NF Tubby.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Ah, NFs! Had three of those. They became collector’s items and I sold all in favour of whatever was the current brush fad at the time… (Probably Paladin). Didn’t know you had several, Bill.

Incidentally, browsed through a bunch of the more artistic SOTD pics of mine from back then when looking for the family photo above. Like this one, featuring the NF Tubby.
Yes, Halvor,

I bought each new iteration as it was released. Sadly, I missed the Tubby..