Found an old stone

winters

Hello all, I found this old stone. It is double sided. One side is green the other a dark red. Any idea what the grit is. I believe it is to sharpen straight razor. Any ideas? How is it used wet or dry?
Thanks
Winters

Attachments

Steve56

Forum GOD!
Yes, it’s a barber’s hone. Most of them were 6k - 8k more or less, and they are VERY fast, 4 - 8 strokes will refresh a worn edge. To about the level of a Norton 8k at best. All of them are ancient now, and it is not unusual for some of them to be unusable because the base/matrix has deteriorated.

I’ve never found them very useful in the modern SR world, because time marches on for synthetic abrasives. These are collectables, not modern tools, though some may disagree. A vintage barber would throw his vintage barber hone out the window for a Naniwa 10k or 12k even though the Naniwas are slower. You can get a Shapton G7 0.85u that’s immensely finer, not much slower, and makes a better edge at a similar price of a premium (the box graphics will make it premium) vintage razor hone. Also, almost any barber size Japanese natural stone will beat a vintage synthetic barber hone, though the JNat will be slower.