Flying and the middle seat

UKRob

Forum GOD!
How was it ? Did you manage to do what you wanted too and enjoy despite any local rules ? More important did you get to sample and bring back Port ? I do like a nice Port. Fair play for you to be brave enough to go away, personally haven’t been brave enough to go far.
Saint, it was great and, to be honest, just like any other holiday. The resort was about at 50 to 60% of the norm but many restaurants were fully booked at busy times. The rules were very much the same as at home - basically common sense. If you are in close contact with someone then wear a mask, but as soon as you are in your own bubble, masks are no longer required. In practical terms - wear a mask when entering a restaurant or bar, but take it off when sitting at a table. Same rules apply to airports - and you soon get used to breathing through a mask.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks to high-efficiency filters and constant re-circulation of air on commercial planes, the air you're breathing on your flight is likely much cleaner and less contaminated than most office buildings and is on par with the air in most hospitals. But the shear number of contamination points and close people interactions from typical flight travel is what I find mind boggling.
I agree with the HEPA filters removing any nasties but it also is heavily dependent on how these filters are maintained.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Everytime I have been to Tenerife and I exagerate not, I come home with a cough that lasts around 6 weeks. I am convinced it is contracted on the aircraft. Five hrs plus in close confinement with a lot of people that have been up to allsorts for a fortnight is the perfect breeding ground for viruses. Never stops me and I view it like an occupational hazard of flying on holiday.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Glad you enjoyed your trip Rob, I'm delighted you brought back the rain, too bloody hot!

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Glad you enjoyed your trip Rob, I'm delighted you brought back the rain, too bloody hot!
It's cheering to know I'm not the only one that's been unhappy in the heat. It's different abroad, I think it's because it tends to be humid here too. I mean it obviously depends on where you go, I liked Egypt, it was hot but dry. :)

Vacumatic

Testy
As someone who always comes back from a flight with a cold or a sniffle, I must admit I am in no hurry to fly again.

Speaking of seating on planes, must pass on a story. A few years ago I was booked on a Continental flight to Atlanta, the queue for check in was huge. In front of me was an american man and we got talking, I have to say that the man was enormous, over 6'6" and best part of 400 pounds. He got to the check in and they made him pay for 2 seats, he agreed, I think out of respect for whoever he sat next to.

I saw him on the plane and someone was sat next to him (almost under him), I asked him what about the second seat, he said 'Yeah, its the other side of the aisle'.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
I tested positive for Corona Virus yesterday. I had a test in a test centre in Middlesborough and got my results through this morning. I have just the symptoms of the common cold so far. Just in case register your interest in my shaving gear, it may be getting disposed of shortly.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I tested positive for Corona Virus yesterday. I had a test in a test centre in Middlesborough and got my results through this morning. I have just the symptoms of the common cold so far. Just in case register your interest in my shaving gear, it may be getting disposed of shortly.
Trust you shake it off quickly and all remains ok...

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Hope you sail through it with ease mate