Flying and the middle seat

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I’ve flown most of my life for business and for pleasure; a mixture of super long hauls (eg 13 hours non-stop Bejing-Toronto), long hauls (eg Toronto-Heathrow) and short hauls. Never derived much pleasure from any of them in the non-pandemic times. As it now stands, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be flying anywhere soon, regardless of what the airlines may say. This will be a significant change for us as every year we fly to the UK and the Continent to visit family and friends: we’re just not willing to take the risk and our travel medical insurance does not cover COVID-19 outside of Canada.

D

Deleted member 476

The seat spacing will make little difference, it's the recirculating of poor quality air in the confined space that will ensure everyone gets a fair share of the wretched virus.
Thanks to high-efficiency filters and constant re-circulation of air on commercial planes, the air you're breathing on your flight is likely much cleaner and less contaminated than most office buildings and is on par with the air in most hospitals. But the shear number of contamination points and close people interactions from typical flight travel is what I find mind boggling.

Quique

Forum GOD!
I had a Madrid-London flight next week, with a vacation package there with my family. It was canceled although it did not plan to fly in these conditions.
I hope that next summer is possible

Reactions: p.b

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Thanks to high-efficiency filters and constant re-circulation of air on commercial planes, the air you're breathing on your flight is likely much cleaner and less contaminated than most office buildings and is on par with the air in most hospitals. But the shear number of contamination points and close people interactions from typical flight travel is what I find mind boggling.
Lots of fact there. The air is drawn upwards and very quickly and efficiently but the rest is not possible to control safely or with ANY degree of confidence. I hate Ryanair and would not fly with them but at least 'he' is honest in what he says he can and cannot do and that he will continue to squeeze whatever he can out of everybody that wants to run the gauntlet. Glass of Covid Sir? certainly, we can sell that!!!!

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Cancelled holiday for Sept. Balearics. If the flight goes we shall lose the money. So what. Will save almost that on kennel fees. Better safe than sorry. The ' I am going from UK to Spain whatever' brigade are ignorant and selfish twats! Had to be said. :D
Adding to my own post. Went to book for 2021 today and found that I can actually change the dates of our current flights for this September to next September at NO cost other than a £38 flight price difference. What a result!!!! They do not make that common knowledge do they? Squeezy jet that is.

Also had my villa and car deposit of £300 discounted and hidden in a well reduced villa price for next year. Beaming all round. Just hope they find a vaccine that works now.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Looks like I’m one of the selfish and ignorant twats you refer to - but let me add my opinion anyway. We had booked a villa in Portugal since last year and despite the lack of clearance from the UK government, decided to go ahead flying with Easy Jet from Manchester last week-end. Getting through security took about the same amount of time as usual even though everyone was observing the distancing rules. Our family of 6 was seated in two rows of three one behind the other but generally the seating was arranged with a gap of one empty row between passengers. We were asked not to unload overhead bins until the people in front had finished - this worked well and did not cause any delay in getting off. Face masks were obligatory apart from when drinks were offered.

The rules in Portugal are similar to the UK in terms of wearing masks in public - so you wear them when entering restaurants or moving about but not when you are seated.

My take is that there is little or no difference in the risks I’m taking in Portugal than I would be in shopping/dining/going to the pub back home. As for the flight, I consider whatever additional risk is involved to be relatively low and within the bounds of acceptability I live within generally.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have holidays booked for Oct and Nov and I'm bloody well going, like it or lump it. They were going to be Northern Soul holidays but that part probably will not go ahead. Dancing is going to be out but sat listening to music in an outside bar will most likely be acceptable.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Looks like I’m one of the selfish and ignorant twats you refer to - but let me add my opinion anyway. We had booked a villa in Portugal since last year and despite the lack of clearance from the UK government, decided to go ahead flying with Easy Jet from Manchester last week-end. Getting through security took about the same amount of time as usual even though everyone was observing the distancing rules. Our family of 6 was seated in two rows of three one behind the other but generally the seating was arranged with a gap of one empty row between passengers. We were asked not to unload overhead bins until the people in front had finished - this worked well and did not cause any delay in getting off. Face masks were obligatory apart from when drinks were offered.

The rules in Portugal are similar to the UK in terms of wearing masks in public - so you wear them when entering restaurants or moving about but not when you are seated.

My take is that there is little or no difference in the risks I’m taking in Portugal than I would be in shopping/dining/going to the pub back home. As for the flight, I consider whatever additional risk is involved to be relatively low and within the bounds of acceptability I live within generally.
OK, your choice but I will add stupid to that ( in the nicest possible but self opinionated way ) . I assume you are still there and have adequate insurance from early booking rules? I hope you all stay safe and can get home ok. I think many people have run a similar gauntlet for a variety of reasons. Financial, family pressure or sheer pigheadishness. etc etc. I would class it as unnecessary travel that unnecessarily endangers you, your family and other people. You may not ( probably do not ) agree. My original view therefore stands. Enjoy your hols though regardless.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I have holidays booked for Oct and Nov and I'm bloody well going, like it or lump it. They were going to be Northern Soul holidays but that part probably will not go ahead. Dancing is going to be out but sat listening to music in an outside bar will most likely be acceptable.
Somewhere nice? :D

dc68

-------------
Pre-covid I would fly at least twice a month to London from either NQY or EXT. Now a lot can be done by video link.
Where it can't I shall just have to drive up and stay overnight.
I would have flown abroad for work probably 12 times by now. Instead I was overseas where a country moved into lockdown and though went through a number of formalities/tests and precautions when leaving the country found myself at LHR with not even temperatures being tested, despite the terminal having arrivals from Iran and China.
I certainly wouldn't fly for pleasure at the moment as I doubt all the understandable limitations would make for an enjoyable break.
I am doing everything I can to ensure I don't have to travel abroad for work, but if I have to, so be it.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
OK, your choice but I will add stupid to that ( in the nicest possible but self opinionated way ) . I assume you are still there and have adequate insurance from early booking rules? I hope you all stay safe and can get home ok. I think many people have run a similar gauntlet for a variety of reasons. Financial, family pressure or sheer pigheadishness. etc etc. I would class it as unnecessary travel that unnecessarily endangers you, your family and other people. You may not ( probably do not ) agree. My original view therefore stands. Enjoy your hols though regardless.
Well, just been out tonight after two weeks isolation. I don’t feel any less of a twat, or any more stupid or, in fact, any of the other belligerent, invective adjectives you chose to describe me (and the likes of me) as. But then again, I’m probably a much calmer person than you.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Well, just been out tonight after two weeks isolation. I don’t feel any less of a twat, or any more stupid or, in fact, any of the other belligerent, invective adjectives you chose to describe me (and the likes of me) as. But then again, I’m probably a much calmer person than you.
How was it ? Did you manage to do what you wanted too and enjoy despite any local rules ? More important did you get to sample and bring back Port ? I do like a nice Port. Fair play for you to be brave enough to go away, personally haven’t been brave enough to go far.