February 2020 Acquisitions

Rasorium

Legendary Member
View attachment 63115

Solid brass charcoal goods safety razor. Includes limited edition Victorian razor handle, Level-2 (mid-aggressive) baseplate and a limited edition Victorian razor top cap.
I’ve been looking at the SS with the maze handle. I know that level 2 is mid aggressive but can you give an indication of how that would compare to other well known razors? I have a Muhle R89 which is way too mild and have tried a R41 which led to a lot of bloodshed :)

Nico

Forum GOD!
I’ve been looking at the SS with the maze handle. I know that level 2 is mid aggressive but can you give an indication of how that would compare to other well known razors? I have a Muhle R89 which is way too mild and have tried a R41 which led to a lot of bloodshed :)
No worries @Rasorium
ETA for the C.G razor is later this month.

See post/review from P&C forum. This should answer your question.

Memhis

Forum GOD!
Impulse buy of Trafalgar. Just a quick bowl lather for testing - not so impressed, have expecting more splay. But will proper test it on the face. And I have ordered a stand too, stupidly thinking that the brush will fit in when they sell it. It does not.

D

Deleted member 1881

Impulse buy of Trafalgar. Just a quick bowl lather for testing - not so impressed, have expecting more splay. But will proper test it on the face. And I have ordered a stand too, stupidly thinking that the brush will fit in when they sell it. It does not.

That is a great low knot which maybe don't splay that easy, but will load soap like nobody' business Memhis.

R181

Grumpy old man

I think Simpson synthetic brushes are known not splaying so easily. They may take a bit of getting used to.

Bob

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
I know what you are saying. I use the T3 and have found it to be quite similar to the Chubby 2 synthetic. with more splay on the second pass

R181

Grumpy old man
As with all of their brushes......Simpson recommend a paint brush motion for lathering
That was the company line even before they had a synthetic in the line up iirc. Regardless. I still do circular motions with them. Imo, that was a cya move to counter people who were ham-fisted and heavy handed using their brushes causing damage to the brush and trying to claim it was a faulty knot. To me a shaving brush is pretty useless if you can't use circular motions when face lathering.

Bob

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Not sure what lofts are being used, but I had a CH2 synthetic set at 52mm and had no problem using circular movements from the outset.