Feather Pro Guard 'Tuggy'

Wayne

Forum Sod
I recently bought a lovely Blackland Vector from the BST. It came with some feather ProGuard blades. I duly loaded one up and began my shave, my word they are rough buggers. Tuggy as Hell and not a pleasant shaving experience. I ordered some Kai Captain guarded blades from Connaught but by mistake they sent more Pro Guards. They are rectifiying that though and the replaceemnts are on the way.
Does anyone else find the Feathers Tuggy and rough? Hoping it isn't just me.

Scorpio93

Legendary Member
Been a while since I’ve used them (good half a year or so I believe) but if I remember correctly they were hugely dependant on razor they were in. They weren’t playing nicely in vector, same as for me the feathers super pro weren’t good in it. I believe I’ve used the proguards afterwards mainly in DX shavette where they were fine, so I’d place my bets on proGuards and vector not really liking each other 😅

Estariol

Legendary Member
I have a sample ProGuard blade, it does not tug, it's "Feather sharp", but i don't like shaving with it, it kind of feels as the guards are scratching my skin, like a comb or a rake is dragged on it. No trace on the skin, but the AS stings like hell. Only used it 6 times, as i wanted to be sure that it was not due to technique, experience or preparation. I'm sure it's still sharp, but not for my face.
The Kai ProTouch MG blade, however, gave me full 17 ultra comfortable, 2 to 3 pass shaves and 3 more with a bit more sting from the AS, in the Chinese SS clone.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Personally Wayne, I wouldn’t bother using guarded blades. I think they were intended for use in straight razors where there’s no safety bar so an SE razor shouldn’t really need them.
Cheers mate. I'll remember that.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Just goes to show, I have quite dense beard growth and use both Kai and Feather guarded blades with success.
I find that they allow me to do the extra clean up work without fear of mishap.
Used the Feather PG in a Claymore Evolution today and no tugging, so probably suits this Razor but perhaps not every one.

0C16A2BF-6CCA-449E-A4FA-0B10B09F0E7A.jpeg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Just goes to show, I have quite dense beard growth and use both Kai and Feather guarded blades with success.
I find that they allow me to do the extra clean up work without fear of mishap.
Used the Feather PG in a Claymore Evolution today and no tugging, so probably suits this Razor but perhaps not every one.

View attachment 121876
Have you tried unguarded blades? Feather Pro are good - although I always run a new blade through a cork just to take the edge off. My favourites though are Schick which are good right from the dispenser but probablt not so long lasting as Feather. Kai also seem to be a quality blade.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Have you tried unguarded blades? Feather Pro are good - although I always run a new blade through a cork just to take the edge off. My favourites though are Schick which are good right from the dispenser but probablt not so long lasting as Feather. Kai also seem to be a quality blade.
Yes I use most other blades depends on the Razor

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I began with the guarded type and transitioned to pros. For me, both worked well. My only advice is to check your angle.