Feather blades

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I cannot tell the difference between a decent Sumatran and a mild Cuban cigar, but if given the choice I would probably choose the Cuban.
Thus, the reputation of Feather DE blades..?
On the V sharp blade in a mild razor front I think I like Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow best, then Vintage English Wilkinsons (after the first pass), then Polsilver, Astra & Feather .
The Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium are some of the cheapest blades out there (4.99 for 200), and I find them similar to Feathers (tho' less consistent - maybe 2 in 10 are duds). My favourite blades by far are Treet "Black Beauty" Carbon Steel, then German Wilkinsons & Voskhod, but it depends on the razor.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I prefare Feather blades but Perma-Sharps are very good too but I don't rate Merkur blades that much.
They are way to costly

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
Feather has always been a medium good blade for me. Not bad, but definetely not amongst my favorites. But last week I put a Feather blade in my Rockwell 6s (base plate 4) and - wow! - what a fantastic shave. After that I have shaved with it a few more times on plate 4 and 5 and I must say that it has been marvelous shaves, all of them.

Franklin Furter

Forum GOD!
You have to stick them in a very mild razor to get the best results. Blue tip, adjustable, tech, feather as-d2, etc.
Many vintage Gillette razors, such as the Tech and Super Speed models as well as the Fat Boy, were surely designed for use with the Gillette blades of the day. These were the Blue and Super Blue blades, and they were made from carbon steel. Carbon steel can be ground to a very sharp edge. (Gillette would not release it first stainless blade until 1963, the year the Slim was introduced.) It is for this reason that I believe that these vintage razors, now considered mild, work so well with a sharp blade--i.e., Gillette designed them that way.

PLANofMAN

Retro Razor Junkie
Many vintage Gillette razors, such as the Tech and Super Speed models as well as the Fat Boy, were surely designed for use with the Gillette blades of the day. These were the Blue and Super Blue blades, and they were made from carbon steel. Carbon steel can be ground to a very sharp edge. (Gillette would not release it first stainless blade until 1963, the year the Slim was introduced.) It is for this reason that I believe that these vintage razors, now considered mild, work so well with a sharp blade--i.e., Gillette designed them that way.
I have a thousand or so Super Blue blades. I'd have to agree with you. Though I don't consider them to be quite as sharp as feathers. On par with Polsilver Iridiums or Ladas, in my opinion.

kypros

Forum GOD!
I use the Feather and Polsilver iridium most of the time regardless of the razor. The only time I'll not use a feather is with the R41 as the razor itself will cut me even without a blade in it.

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
Out of all the blades I have tried, two have come on top, and sadly, they are both some of the most expensive DE blades out there — Personna (Med) Preps and Feather New Hi-Stainless blades.

The Feather DE blades get the job done where so many other blades fail. I seem to have relatively sensitive skin, so I am not interested in wrecking my face with a mild blade and a four-pass shave. For me, Feathers are smooth from the very first shave, and are good for 5–7 shaves per blade. (Which, by the way, brings the cost down nicely.)

I have enjoyed Feathers in a variety of different razors. They were the only blade that would actually make my Gillette Travel Tech, well, shave. And when I load one in my Blackbird, the already efficient razor reaches a new pinnacle of stubble destruction capability.

YMMV

Forum GOD!
I like them a lot. In fact I am looking for an online vendor with decent prices to buy more. Unfortunately, I prefer sharper blades and these are usually of the more expensive kind. Feathers, Polsilvers, Nacets, that kind of stuff.

matteob

I can't stand them: my technique is ok now but they seem to cut me to bits at worst and leave me with awful razor burn at best.

mike_the_kraken

Señor member
While I like sharp blades, feathers don't cut it for me (see what I did there?!) The first shave is always rough, the second and third are decent enough, anything further is pointless. IMHO, feather DE's are sharp - but not smooth. I've had much better luck with KAI - almost as sharp, increased smoothness, and a larger number of consistent shaves.

Now, if we are talking about SE blades... the feather pro's and pro-super's are great!

Last edited:
I started safety razor shaving start of lockdown in 2020, so just over 2 years now. In the first couple of weeks I made a mistake using a Feather blade so early on. I then couldn't understand the positive attention they kept receiving. 2 years on, this morning, I used Feather blade no.2 in the packet. With a much better lathering and shaving technique than before, I gave them a second chance. I have to say they did a fantastic job this morning. I usually have little leftover areas on my neck after 3 passes which I just accept to avoid irritation, but the Feather dealt with them all swiftly, nick and irritation free. By all means they aren't the smoothest but they will be back in my rotation when I have a few days worth of whiskers to see to.

Vacumatic

Testy
Feathers are in my top 3, they suit the combination of my Tech razor and the way I shave, they also last pretty well, I note that you say they are not the smoothest, my experience is that shave #1 is not so smooth but this improves by the time you reach #3.

Plenty of people will say that they don't rate them at all, I think that this must simply be down to technique and a more aggressive razor, this is all about the journey and finding out what works best for you.