Favourite chilli sauce

Wayne

Forum Sod
I grow incredibly hot chillis like Morugas, Carolina Reaper, 7-Pots, Bhut Jolokia. When I say that 7-Pots are reputedly so named because one chilli will season 7 pots of stew, it's understandable that I don't use much for seasoning, and have a big (as in lbs/kilos) surplus every year.

They go in the freezer, and after the current year's crop is in, I make sauce of the preceding year. Simple stuff; salt, vinegar;some with herbs, sugar or garlic. I bottle them up in those china flip top Grolsch beer bottles, and they are fearsomely hot. A very little goes a very long way.
Sounds fantastic.

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Sounds fantastic.
Thanks. It certainly is like semi-liquid fire, although I do try to make the stuff so that it has flavour as well. The nearest "made" sauce I've tried is a bright green chilli sauce, "East End Very Hot Green Chilli Sauce", which my son got me from somewhere, but that's nowhere as hot as mine.

I normally source my chilli seed from a UK supplier, but this year I've got them from fatalii.net in Finland. The rationale (?) is that if you can grow very hot chillis in Finland, then they should be OK for here; plus he sells some interesting and scarce varieties. Some are very hard to germinate, but the success rate on my Finnish seeds this year is around 95%, which is exceptional. That should make for an interesting brew, and I plan to grow and sauce all in this year.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I grow incredibly hot chillis like Morugas, Carolina Reaper, 7-Pots, Bhut Jolokia. When I say that 7-Pots are reputedly so named because one chilli will season 7 pots of stew, it's understandable that I don't use much for seasoning, and have a big (as in lbs/kilos) surplus every year.

They go in the freezer, and after the current year's crop is in, I make sauce of the preceding year. Simple stuff; salt, vinegar;some with herbs, sugar or garlic. I bottle them up in those china flip top Grolsch beer bottles, and they are fearsomely hot. A very little goes a very long way.
Superb!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member

That sauces sound great!

dc68

-------------
I make my own:

1 large ancho or pasilla chilli, or another dried chilli with a little heat (12g in total)
25g ground cayenne pepper
25g ground sweet paprika
¾ tbsp ground cumin
½ tbsp caraway seeds, ground
20 garlic cloves, peeled (75g in total)
¾ tsp salt
75ml sunflower oil, plus a little extra

Its an middle eastern/Israeli recipe called Piphelchuma, it can be added to a recipe or used as a condiment. I sometimes add some small chillies to it to increase the flavour.

There is also a great Yemeni recipe for a mixture called Zhoug:
35g coriander
20g parsley
2 green chillies
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cardamom
⅛ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt

2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water

Enjoy

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Thread revival!
Just taken delivery:

Not as hot as expected, but the Scorpion and Ghost are kinda warm!

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My Mum used to make the most delicious chilli sauce. Sadly she died 12 years ago and I didn’t get her recipe. At the moment I’m using Mountain Man Fire Roasted Habanero Sauce, which is very tasty, but will numb your pallet (not to mention your rear end the next morning) if you’re not careful.