Favorite shave stick?

p.b

Forum GOD!
Only used Tabac so far and like it a lot, kept it for travel although it is 100g and on the larger size in terms of shave sticks. When it runs out or if I need something smaller for extremely light travelling, I'll probably get one of these lip balm containers and make my own shave stick from my soap of choice

Good idea - perfect for 1 or 2 nights away.

I was in Boots early and noticed they have their own shave stick.
https://www.boots.com/boots-original-shave-stick-50g-10094848
Handy size and container - anyone tried it? Is it pants?
It's not terrible from what I remember, Paul. It's non tallow and lathers fine but I only ever bought one as something in it gave me irritation and a burning feeling on the skin, had the same reaction with the balm as well. If you travel with shave sticks the container it comes in is worth keeping. Actually I heard they were discontinuing it..as they used to have a hard puck and bowl of the same formulation but I think that's been phased out. Sorry for the rambling :laugh:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I'm a fan of shave sticks, the one is use most is Palmolive because it's cheap as 'owt and has never given me anything but stellar results, the only drawback is that the scent is uninspiring. DRH is great soap but the sticks are too expensive. I like the size of Tabac and the sturdy holder but the scent is one I need to be in the mood for.

Sounds like I need to try Speick, what does it smell like and where's the best place to get it? Shaving.ie has one in a reusable tube that looks like it may be a handy thing for travelling.

FSword

Forum GOD!
I knew I shouldn't be reading such threads! I really like Speick ASB, I really like sticks so this must mean I need to try Speick stick. Fortunately it's not too expensive.

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
Yes defo try the Speick stick. I just recently bought one in travel case from Shaving.ie. The scent is a herbal lavender type affair, I find it quite pleasant.

Nav

Forum GOD!
My favorite sticks:
- DIY MWF
- Speick
- LEA Classic puck grated into a stick
- LEA stick (the actual shaving stick from LEA).

I got the LEA stick in a trade so will use it up but won't replace it as the LEA classic puck version is better in every way.

I have a second puck of DRHarris Windsor that I'll likely grate up for a stick.

Derby is another quality stick..similar to Arko..in performance, and the old formula LEA /BEA and Vie Long sticks with tallow were great.
TOBS also offers two glycerin based shave sticks (Sandalwood and St James) which work well but the applicator is very poor. I must say though, when I bought 2 of these sticks for travel and the applicator broke , TOBS sent me two new ones free of charge and even included a nice amount of samples, which I thought was was great service.

p.b

Forum GOD!
AF63BEF4-8D03-49DC-91D0-970FFEE2A5D7.jpeg

I tried the lipbalm tube idea and filled it with shavings from my Valobra stick and packed it down with a skinny wooden coffee stirrer. Unfortunately it doesn’t work as the soap has become stuck to the side of the tube and the mechanism isn’t strong enough to move it, see the results in the red circle.

It worked while I was packing the soap in, but after a week or two sitting in my wash bag it’s stuck. As I bought 5 I'll try it with a softer soap. I have a lot of one or two night away stays so I like the possibility of such a small stick.

Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve used the Speick pretty much exclusively since I bought it, I love it. I got the one with the travel tube. I’m definitely going to keep this in stock, I’m thinking of getting the AS too.

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
The AS is fantastic too. For post shave healing/skin care it is one of the best on the market. Scent wise it is a spicy herbal medicinal vibe.

p.b

Forum GOD!
F1669E10-331F-49A4-9E08-93B2219E400E.jpeg

I second the Speick recommendation.

This is my nearly finished Valobra next to my yet to be started Speick stick. I no longer have to travel as much as I did so it's taking some time to finish off the Valobra

Last edited:

bugra101

Forum GOD!
My favorite soap is MWF. Gives me the best post shave, my skin doesn't dry at all after MWF.

I recently used the Arko stick and I know why all the years when I went to barbers in Turkey my face turned red and was dry. It was the bloody Arko!

Also used the Palmolive stick, definitely better post shave than Arko but not as good as the MWF.

Which stick you reckon will be close to MWF in terms of post shave? Would Speick be better option than Palmolive?

I know MWF is also possible to grind down and get into stick form but don`t have time for it at the moment.