Completed Fatboy to pass around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Gave the fatboy a run out this evening and 1st impressions are good!

It's a lovely little razor, nice weight, perfect length and the mechanism is so smooth. It's the little things like the grip on the handle, it just oozes class and quality.

Despite previous posters, I quite like PolSilver SI blades and I'd opened up a fresh one yesterday so slipped it in. I thought rather than mess around with settings mid shave, I'd pick one per shave, so with the OP's post in mind I started on number 3.

Well, smooth doesn't properly describe the experience, for context the previous nights shave used the same blade in a PAA Alpha Ecliptic Slant Razor which was so rough that at times it felt like I was peeling off my face. In contrast the fatboy was an absolute delight and had me smiling straight away. It's also so manageable unlike the only adjustable I have, the Merkur Futur which is bulky and clumsy.

There were a couple of times where I could've used a little more blade feel as I wasn't sure if I had the angle right and there wasn't much blade feedback. So tomorrow same blade but onto setting number 4.

I do often wonder why you need an adjustable razor as surely once you find the comfortable setting you never need to change it, but I guess this gives you that luxury and it's truly a razor for all. Or it will allow you to adjust it to different blades. Who knows, but currently I like it, next up increase the setting, then try again with different blades.

I've already put a saved search on eBay for these so that must tell you something...
20190612_182014.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
2nd attempt with the fatboy and I upped it to 4 this time, same PolSilver blade.

Still super smooth, feels so mild that I get the feeling the shave can't be that close but it is. Reminds me when I first used the Karve with C plate and I thought the same thing, and now that's my favourite razor.

Couple weepers in the corner of my mouth where I usually get them if I'm rushing, ut thays because the razor is so smooth it gives you the confidence to whip it around with carefree abandon. Good to know there's still a blade in there!

Tomorrow same blade but might skip 5 and go to 7, see how I feel and if I have the time for a leisurely shave which I didn't today.

An opportunity came up to buy a mint 1960 slim today, that arrives tomorrow so will be interesting to compare.

Attachments

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
The Slim arrived yesterday and it's a stunner. Took some side by side pics then used that with the same blade and settings as the fatboy. Same super smooth mild but efficient shave, I knocked it up to 6 for the 2nd pass, and still feels smooth.

Think ill try the fatboy on 9 today then try a different blade.
20190614_182623.jpg
20190614_182726.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Fatboy on 9 this afternoon and I can finally feel the blade! Not enough to be scary, but enough that I have to pay attention.

I have to say I am a fan of this razor, and I'm so glad I've tried one. I'll try a different blade tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, I think my day to day comfort setting will be around 6-7 with the polsilver.

Now I have the Slim, if there's anyone who wants to try this Fatboy I'll happily send it on, otherwise I'll keep experimenting.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Rather than try blades I like, I thought I'd try blades that historically I've not liked.

1st up is a Voshkod, previously found these to be a bit harsh so I dialled it down to 5. Today's soap was Phoenix and Beau V60 which provided plenty of cushion and slickness. There was more blade feel on 5 with this blade and probably about as high as I'd go with it. I'm liking this razor more and more and starting to understand adjustable razors.
IMG_20190617_095832_628.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Tried a Shark yesterday, not a blade I particularly enjoy using so I tried on setting 4. More blade feel than the PolSilver and the Voshkod, but still a decent shave. Went up to 5 for 2nd XTG pass and even tried a cheeky ATG pass on my neck which I instantly regretted as it burned a bit. Still it shows that the razor gives me confidence regardless which blade I use.

20190621_154948.jpg

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
don't you find it a bit too mild even on #9?
I think of you like really aggressive razors them yeah, you may find the FB mild. I find it very efficient at 9, and could use it daily at maybe 6ish...
Which reminds me, I need to use mine. It will come with me next week to Birmingham..

Status
Not open for further replies.