Fat boy and Rex compasrison

carbold

Carlo
First shave this morning with the O series Rex I just got from a honourable member of this forum (thanks @TheChrisC).
I have to say that the finish is a lot better than the N series, almost no machine marks and the knurling is a lot more refined. As stated before, the spring is a lot stiffer.
I can confirm that for me the first 3 settings are not effective at all, the razor starts becoming alive on #4. I had a nice deep shave on #6 and #5 with a couple of nicks (not the razor’s fault, but just a reminder that you can get nicks with this razor, unlike the Fatboy!).
Now, the reason I sold my first Rex was the drag, i.e. this feeling of the hair being pulled rather than cut. I experienced this again this morning but not as much as I remember. I want to give this Rex more time and start playing with angles. I should be getting my overclocked Fatboy today or tomorrow so I’ll post some comparisons.

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
First shave this morning with the O series Rex I just got from a honourable member of this forum (thanks @TheChrisC).
I have to say that the finish is a lot better than the N series, almost no machine marks and the knurling is a lot more refined. As stated before, the spring is a lot stiffer.
I can confirm that for me the first 3 settings are not effective at all, the razor starts becoming alive on #4. I had a nice deep shave on #6 and #5 with a couple of nicks (not the razor’s fault, but just a reminder that you can get nicks with this razor, unlike the Fatboy!).
Now, the reason I sold my first Rex was the drag, i.e. this feeling of the hair being pulled rather than cut. I experienced this again this morning but not as much as I remember. I want to give this Rex more time and start playing with angles. I should be getting my overclocked Fatboy today or tomorrow so I’ll post some comparisons.
Great review thanks

carbold

Carlo
Got the Fatboy back from replating yesterday and had the first comparison shave today. The oveclocking made the Fatboy a tad more efficient, meaning that now I can actually get a BBS on #9. Which makes the Fatboy a usable razor for me, not like the Mamba or Feather for example with which I was never able to get a deep shave.
But in terms of blade feel the Rex wins hands down. If you, like me,
want a deep shave, a BBS, and you like blade feel, the Rex is for you when you dial it anywhere between #3 and #6. Anything less than #3 and it’s too mild.
The problem I can see with the Fatboy is the lack of blade exposure but I guess this would be appreciated by some

Last edited: